Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
fevsmate

Post by fevsmate »

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Dot! Welcome back mate.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

SL HQ, it's Fearns Island isn't it? All fits in.The (little known) bijou river-side "drinking balcony" http://g.co/maps/fjzh2under the East Street end of the footbridge. Ideal for quick lunchAnd the convenient Marsh Beck/Adel Beck/Meanwood Beck outflow just oppo. How better to milk the lavishly funded SL Moderator's 'Kayak to work' scheme..We're onto you..ps Any vacancies?    

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

No, if we were based near all those becks, we'd be drinking this:

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

[quotenick="Tasa"]No, if we were based near all those becks, we'd be drinking this:]That made me . Ahh, Beck's Yorkshire Bitter, known as BYB. Oh, wait a sec, didn't that stand for doing something to Your Bladder so probably not Beck's then!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

No, I shouldn't think so! I've recently seen the BYB acronym resurrected, as Kirkstall Brewery have produced a bitter with that name. I previously knew it as Bentley's Yorkshire Bitter from an old (and sadly long-gone) beermat collection that I used to have (including some excellent Melbourne ones ).    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Tasa wrote: No, I shouldn't think so! I've recently seen the BYB acronym resurrected, as Kirkstall Brewery have produced a bitter with that name. I previously knew it as Bentley's Yorkshire Bitter from an old (and sadly long-gone) beermat collection that I used to have (including some excellent Melbourne ones ).     It's interesting that the BYB is now used by a local brewery. I wonder what that BYB stands for (if anything)?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Leodian wrote: Tasa wrote: No, I shouldn't think so! I've recently seen the BYB acronym resurrected, as Kirkstall Brewery have produced a bitter with that name. I previously knew it as Bentley's Yorkshire Bitter from an old (and sadly long-gone) beermat collection that I used to have (including some excellent Melbourne ones ).     It's interesting that the BYB is now used by a local brewery. I wonder what that BYB stands for (if anything)? It's supposed to be "Best Yorkshire Bitter" - an ambitious claim! They even use the same logo as Bentley's (it stood for Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries):    

book

Post by book »

I remember working behind a bar for a while in Leeds in a working men's club and the members would ask for a pint of best. I knew it was bitter they wanted but was there a lower graded bitter.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not a lot of Leeds folk know that Carlsberg 'spesh' was created for Winston Churchill.http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/all/7 ... ngth.thtml