Spam

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

We seem to have a serial spammer hooked onto the site - this happens now and again - thankfully not too often.I took out five seperate threads early doors today. Moves are in hand to block this intruder. In the meantime, if you see anything odd just ignore it and - it would be wise not to click on any of thelinks these folk include - quite a common way of getting something undesirable into your machine for malicious purposes

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

chameleon wrote: We seem to have a serial spammer hooked onto the site - this happens now and again - thankfully not too often.I took out five seperate threads early doors today. Moves are in hand to block this intruder. In the meantime, if you see anything odd just ignore it and - it would be wise not to click on any of thelinks these folk include - quite a common way of getting something undesirable into your machine for malicious purposes Not the online golf supplier again? A possibly non exixtent Ukrainian registered several domains on the 17th June and has been bombarding my work email ever since. The domains are just used for the emails that are in response to the emails.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I thought this thread was going to be about spam (the meat)!Not clicking on any links in posts that you suspect could be dubious (such as a very newly joined member posting links) is very sound advice.I right fancy a spam fritter or two just now!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: chameleon wrote: We seem to have a serial spammer hooked onto the site - this happens now and again - thankfully not too often.I took out five seperate threads early doors today. Moves are in hand to block this intruder. In the meantime, if you see anything odd just ignore it and - it would be wise not to click on any of thelinks these folk include - quite a common way of getting something undesirable into your machine for malicious purposes Not the online golf supplier again? A possibly non exixtent Ukrainian registered several domains on the 17th June and has been bombarding my work email ever since. The domains are just used for the emails that are in response to the emails. Sounds like the one - at least it's not the Chinese trainers again!    

munki

Post by munki »

They are banned.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

munki wrote: They are banned. Cheers munki - I see you've got rid of the Fortune ad thingy too before I got home - saw it at work but not allowed to log-in from there    

carith

Post by carith »

Talking of spam I have received an e-mail from a company that started with dear Carith. How do these companies get hold of peoples secret leeds user names .

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

carith wrote: Talking of spam I have received an e-mail from a company that started with dear Carith. How do these companies get hold of peoples secret leeds user names . Well, they can do that by reading the forum - more tothe question is where did they get your address from?Most likely, perhaps you have sent an email to someone/organisationusing youur SL ID??I am confident that our personal details and addresses are properly protected and respected by the Administrators - as moderators, even we don't have access to these, other than that which people choose to post. Having said that, I am one of many who include their address in the vissible user profile here - and (so far) I don't think it's been used or harvested for spamming purposes.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

E-mail spambots are usually the culpritsE-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. Because e-mail addresses have a distinctive format, spambots are easy to write.A number of programs and approaches have been devised to foil spambots. One such technique is address munging, in which an e-mail address is deliberately modified so that a human reader (and/or human-controlled Web browser) can interpret it but spambots cannot. This has led to the evolution of more sophisticated spambots that are able to recover e-mail addresses from character strings that appear to be munged, or instead can render the text into a web browser and then scrape it for e-mail addresses. Alternative transparent techniques include displaying all or part of the e-mail address on a webpage as an image, a text logo shrunken to normal size using inline CSS, or as text with the order of characters jumbled, placed into readable order at display time using CSS.Its best on forums to leave gaps in your email address so as to foil the spambot. ie tremelo @ secretleeds.net
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

For anyone who saw this morning's reincarnation of the former spam poster Teatylove (I ask ya!!) as xping, he too is banned. pinged down the curly wire