Photo of Two Girls sat on Rail Blackpool Prom 1951.le

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
volvojack

Photo of Two Girls sat on Rail Blackpool Prom 1951.le

Post by volvojack »

This is a very famous Picture of two young Ladies sat on the Railings on Blackpool Promenade 1951. Though My Pals and i used to go to Blackpool every Bank Holiday, (Easter, Whitsun, August ) but never met these Two.
The reason i have brought this up is if you go key this in to Google etc, not only do these Lasses appear but also there there are dozens and dozens of Pictures concerning Blackpool, People, Trams, Trains, Folks on the Beach, so many it is a real treat for an old timer like me. There are lots of People who have been photographed and it is just possible you may see an Older relative. Anyway it certainly is worth a Look

chemimike

Re: Photo of Two Girls sat on Rail Blackpool Prom 1951.le

Post by chemimike »

Not sure if it is my computer, but I cannot see a picture

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

chemimike wrote:Not sure if it is my computer, but I cannot see a picture
Neither can I, and what's Blackpool got to do with Secret Leeds and also in the Help and Support forum? Am I missing something? :oops: :oops:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:lol:
Only kidding. Haven't been there for years though. It turned into a right dirty place with stag partys and drunks all over the place

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... utfit.html

:arrow:
Attachments
Blackpool Belles.jpg
Blackpool Belles.jpg (91.94 KiB) Viewed 10306 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

The last time i made a visit i agree it was a mess this was about two years ago looks like things have not changed much I will say the sea front alterations were a vast improvement a great photograph though.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Apologies...... I should have put "!950s Blackpool pictures"
If you google that it will show you it will show you how it was some 50 years or so ago. In August Bank Holiday just about all of the Leeds working Class would upsticks and go to Blackpool. The Tailoring, Engineering and Printing Industry's would close down for Two weeks. The attraction was that this Resort had something for everyone and although most folks stayed in "Boarding Houses" which were far from luxurious, just some Fresh Seaside Air was welcome.
Where ever you went you would hear the Leeds accent and if you ventured into the two Tetley's Pubs, The Huntsman or The Hardwicke there would be nothing else.
Please do have a Look at these Pictures and it might give you an Idea how crowded a Beach could get etc.
It certainly was another world back then.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The last time i made a visit i agree it was a mess this was about two years ago looks like things have not changed much I will say the sea front alterations were a vast improvement a great photograph though.

Apologies. Should have posted "Google 1950s Blackpool Pictures " and that would have brought up all the ones i spoke about.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:The last time i made a visit i agree it was a mess this was about two years ago looks like things have not changed much I will say the sea front alterations were a vast improvement a great photograph though.

Apologies. Should have posted "Google 1950s Blackpool Pictures " and that would have brought up all the ones i spoke about.
This photo predates the famous Marilyn Monroe picture by several years. If anyone wants to know more about this photo see here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/phot ... -true.html

Not Leeds related except rather tenuously that most of us living in the North back then went to Blackpool at some stage.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I lived in Blackpool from 1966-1977 and saw it's decline as a family resort in the 1960's to stag and hen party in 1970's until late nineties on various visits.It has re-invented itself and has improved vastly.Certainly loads of Yorkshire visitiers when I lived there.It was in Blackpool I was introduced to the late lamented Yorkshire Relish Sauce!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Steve Jones wrote:lamented Yorkshire Relish Sauce!
Steve
I guess you may be referring to Backhouse’s Yorkshire Relish? If you’re not already aware, which you may well be, try Henderson’s Relish from Sheffield, it’s the nearest thing. Much better than Worcestershire Sauce, and vegan
I believe. Morrisons stocks it.
The older I get, the better I was.