Hunslet RLFC - the 'jamjar' team

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Old Leo

Post by Old Leo »

I seem to recall that in the late 40's admission to Parkside could be gained on payment of a jamjar or two. At that time, many bottles and jars carried a returnable deposit - tuppence on a beer or lemonade bottle and, I think, a penny on a two-pound jamjar and a ha'penny on a one-pound jar.Hunslet might have had an arrangement with Moorhouses, the jam manufacturers of Beeston, but the club carried the nickname for a while.Or am I just imagining this?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Old Leo wrote: I seem to recall that in the late 40's admission to Parkside could be gained on payment of a jamjar or two. At that time, many bottles and jars carried a returnable deposit - tuppence on a beer or lemonade bottle and, I think, a penny on a two-pound jamjar and a ha'penny on a one-pound jar.Hunslet might have had an arrangement with Moorhouses, the jam manufacturers of Beeston, but the club carried the nickname for a while.Or am I just imagining this?I can remember when I first started going to RL paying 3d. to watch them play Wakey in the Yorkshire Cup. Can't remember the jam jars, but I heard recently about a cinema (can't remember where) that let you in for a jam jar.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

Old Leo wrote: I seem to recall that in the late 40's admission to Parkside could be gained on payment of a jamjar or two. At that time, many bottles and jars carried a returnable deposit - tuppence on a beer or lemonade bottle and, I think, a penny on a two-pound jamjar and a ha'penny on a one-pound jar.Hunslet might have had an arrangement with Moorhouses, the jam manufacturers of Beeston, but the club carried the nickname for a while.Or am I just imagining this?Is it true that during WWII due to a glass shortage a pint of beer could be bought in a jam jar?? Hence the expression going for a 'jar'

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Hunslet RLFC hit hard times in the early 1920's and I think it was then that the supporters club formed in 1922 appealed for jam jars and the like to be brought in so the club could use the deposits for much needed funds.In the 1940's the club was doing well and played in front of large crowds, so I don't think it was then.In the 1920's the club played in white jerseys, but a constant problem was the players pinching them for work - they were pretty unidentifiable! So determined to ensure this stopped the club changed to distinctive coloured jerseys.When picking the jerseys colour they could not use the city colours as Leeds had those, so Hunslet decided to adopt the University colours of Myrtle white and flame red.If you see a Leeds Uni scarf today those are also Hunslet's colours.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I can't really argue with someone who has Parksider as a nickname but do still have to ask are you sure?I was probably taken to Parkside as a kid but given in 72 I was only 8 can not remember the strip. I certainly watched a lot of RL in the vicinity. New Hunslet and then with the "New" dropped have always, to my recollection, played in Myrtle (Green), Flame (Orange/Yellow) and White. Some of their second strips in that time have reflected what I believe to be the original Hunslet colours of Chocolate brown, white (and blue?). I did have the subbuteo version of rugby and the only additional team I had was Hunslet in brown and white.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: I can't really argue with someone who has Parksider as a nickname but do still have to ask are you sure?I was probably taken to Parkside as a kid but given in 72 I was only 8 can not remember the strip. I certainly watched a lot of RL in the vicinity. New Hunslet and then with the "New" dropped have always, to my recollection, played in Myrtle (Green), Flame (Orange/Yellow) and White. Some of their second strips in that time have reflected what I believe to be the original Hunslet colours of Chocolate brown, white (and blue?). I did have the subbuteo version of rugby and the only additional team I had was Hunslet in brown and white. Far be it from me to pre empt Parky, but Hunslet played in the famous 1965 Wembley final against Wigan in the chocolate and white strip.
Industria Omnia Vincit

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

tyke bhoy wrote: I can't really argue with someone who has Parksider as a nickname but do still have to ask are you sure?I was probably taken to Parkside as a kid but given in 72 I was only 8 can not remember the strip. I certainly watched a lot of RL in the vicinity. New Hunslet and then with the "New" dropped have always, to my recollection, played in Myrtle (Green), Flame (Orange/Yellow) and White. Some of their second strips in that time have reflected what I believe to be the original Hunslet colours of Chocolate brown, white (and blue?). I did have the subbuteo version of rugby and the only additional team I had was Hunslet in brown and white. In the early days there were various strips as clubs didn't have too great a tradition about anything let alone colours of their strip.Hunslet did adopt chocolate and white in the 1890's. Everyone has seen the 1908 side in their white shirt, the pocket badge was chocolate and white and I have seen one of the shirts (Place's) so know first hand!The change to university colours was 1932 as I say and flame was red. If you see the old cig cards of Jack Walkington you will see the proper flame red. At various times its gone to all shades of yellow and orange quite wrongly.The club played in these colours to 1962 when it was decided that the team never looked that "imposing" i.e. big, in green and a decision was made to get back to white, this time with two chocolate hoops., Shorts could have been white or navy depending on the year. It's my favourite Hunslet strip.In 1965 the club hit the semi final of the cup. To avoid going on black and white TV against a Wakefield side also with hoops in the middle of the shirt, the club got a strip with a chocolate V. They won and went to Wembley with it, stitching green blazer badges to the shirt. Geoff Gunney showed me his and it still has the blood and mud stains on it!!Before the club left Parkside they bought the myrtle white and kinda orange back again and wore it most of the last season. I have a picture of the team in it before the final game against York on my office wall.In 1974 the "new" club adopted green and white then the modern era of all sorts of designs came in and basically hunslet play in green and yellow now but for the odd season older fans managed to get the team back in chocolate and white in a fancy design.The cig card set "club colours" by ogdens features the colours of all clubs in 1934. That looks super on my office wall too. The Leeds captain wearing the amber and blue??two points if you know?Eight points if you name the Bramley captain - in all black!

stevief

Post by stevief »

The Parksider wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: I can't really argue with someone who has Parksider as a nickname but do still have to ask are you sure?I was probably taken to Parkside as a kid but given in 72 I was only 8 can not remember the strip. I certainly watched a lot of RL in the vicinity. New Hunslet and then with the "New" dropped have always, to my recollection, played in Myrtle (Green), Flame (Orange/Yellow) and White. Some of their second strips in that time have reflected what I believe to be the original Hunslet colours of Chocolate brown, white (and blue?). I did have the subbuteo version of rugby and the only additional team I had was Hunslet in brown and white. In the early days there were various strips as clubs didn't have too great a tradition about anything let alone colours of their strip.Hunslet did adopt chocolate and white in the 1890's. Everyone has seen the 1908 side in their white shirt, the pocket badge was chocolate and white and I have seen one of the shirts (Place's) so know first hand!The change to university colours was 1932 as I say and flame was red. If you see the old cig cards of Jack Walkington you will see the proper flame red. At various times its gone to all shades of yellow and orange quite wrongly.The club played in these colours to 1962 when it was decided that the team never looked that "imposing" i.e. big, in green and a decision was made to get back to white, this time with two chocolate hoops., Shorts could have been white or navy depending on the year. It's my favourite Hunslet strip.In 1965 the club hit the semi final of the cup. To avoid going on black and white TV against a Wakefield side also with hoops in the middle of the shirt, the club got a strip with a chocolate V. They won and went to Wembley with it, stitching green blazer badges to the shirt. Geoff Gunney showed me his and it still has the blood and mud stains on it!!Before the club left Parkside they bought the myrtle white and kinda orange back again and wore it most of the last season. I have a picture of the team in it before the final game against York on my office wall.In 1974 the "new" club adopted green and white then the modern era of all sorts of designs came in and basically hunslet play in green and yellow now but for the odd season older fans managed to get the team back in chocolate and white in a fancy design.The cig card set "club colours" by ogdens features the colours of all clubs in 1934. That looks super on my office wall too. The Leeds captain wearing the amber and blue??two points if you know?Eight points if you name the Bramley captain - in all black! 'Jim Brough' Leeds captain?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

stevief wrote: The cig card set "club colours" by ogdens features the colours of all clubs in 1934. That looks super on my office wall too. The Leeds captain wearing the amber and blue??two points if you know?Eight points if you name the Bramley captain - in all black! 'Jim Brough' Leeds captain? YES - correct Stevie but only 2/10 as you missed Syd Abram of Bramley!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[The change to university colours was 1932 as I say and flame was red. If you see the old cig cards of Jack Walkington you will see the proper flame red. I've an Encyclopaedia of Sport which dates back to about 1960. In the front are colour plates of various famour sport clubs' badges, among them is Hunslet - as you say its a green sheild with a bright red heraldic animal the motto is "nihil sine deo"
Industria Omnia Vincit