Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I remember my parents buying me a record player (yes, it was a Dansette) for my birthday in 1962. It was bought from Vallance's opposite the Corn Exchange and gave sterling service for ages.Along with the player mum also bought me six 45s (at 6/8d each that was two quid!). I can remember that two of them were: The James Bond Theme by John Barry Seven (The Dr No film had been released about then) and Wonderful Land by The Shadows. I used to listen to the same records over and over again until I'd saved up to buy another one from my paper round money.I've been (w)racking my brains to remember the other records I got.And whatever became of that old Dansette? JD

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jdWhat good parents you had, and how trendy were you!I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's.There was some good ska coming through then, and to think it's all just there on youtube now! Cue virtual 45 http://youtu.be/iVoguMOrJ3o    

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Jogon wrote: jdWhat good parents you had, and how trendy were you!I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's.There was some good ska coming through then, and to think it's all just there on youtube now! Cue virtual 45 http://youtu.be/iVoguMOrJ3o     Jogon, mine was a red "Popular" model but you're right, I did think I was trendy back then. Years later I moved way up to a Sanyo music centre with more knobs and dials than NASA - how cool was that? JD    

jim

Post by jim »

Jogon wrote: I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's. I remember a record shop on the short parade at the other side of Roundhay Road to the Fforde Green, which I believe was called Project Records. I once bought a good condition second hand copy of Johnny Shines' "Last Night's Dream"LP, Blue Horizon, there, which is now apparently worth a substantial sum of money. I still have it, but it's a good 'un, and won't be parting with it.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

jim wrote: Jogon wrote: I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's. I remember a record shop on the short parade at the other side of Roundhay Road to the Fforde Green, which I believe was called Project Records. I once bought a good condition second hand copy of Johnny Shines' "Last Night's Dream"LP, Blue Horizon, there, which is now apparently worth a substantial sum of money. I still have it, but it's a good 'un, and won't be parting with it. Yes, it was called Project. Possibly with striped blue and white paper bags. It sold secondhand records, the price depending upon the condition of the record (which you could examine). The biggest problem was that they stuck a big sticker on the top right of the front with the price and when you tried to peel this off, it took half the record cover off with it! I can remember trying to touch-up my copy of Paranoid with a felt-tip pen!!

zip55

Post by zip55 »

oldleedsman wrote: jim wrote: Jogon wrote: I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's. I remember a record shop on the short parade at the other side of Roundhay Road to the Fforde Green, which I believe was called Project Records. I once bought a good condition second hand copy of Johnny Shines' "Last Night's Dream"LP, Blue Horizon, there, which is now apparently worth a substantial sum of money. I still have it, but it's a good 'un, and won't be parting with it. Yes, it was called Project. Possibly with striped blue and white paper bags. It sold secondhand records, the price depending upon the condition of the record (which you could examine). The biggest problem was that they stuck a big sticker on the top right of the front with the price and when you tried to peel this off, it took half the record cover off with it! I can remember trying to touch-up my copy of Paranoid with a felt-tip pen!! I had a copy of Paranoid too, and used to watch the record go round the turntable sending me dizzy cos of the label (aptly named Vertigo)

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jim wrote: Jogon wrote: I seem to recall peer group (born 60) hanging around a record shop diagonally oppo Fforde Green pub at Harehills.Was it Scene & Heard? Early 70's. I remember a record shop on the short parade at the other side of Roundhay Road to the Fforde Green, which I believe was called Project Records. I once bought a good condition second hand copy of Johnny Shines' "Last Night's Dream"LP, Blue Horizon, there, which is now apparently worth a substantial sum of money. I still have it, but it's a good 'un, and won't be parting with it. £45http://www.musicstack.com/item/146967467
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Really good to see that Jumbo Records has made it into The Guardian's Top 10 Record Stores. Sorry that I can't post the link. I am useless!. Maybe some kind soul will do it for me?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Dalehelms wrote: Really good to see that Jumbo Records has made it into The Guardian's Top 10 Record Stores. Sorry that I can't post the link. I am useless!. Maybe some kind soul will do it for me? http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/galle ... 96&index=5
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Thank you tyke bhoy.