Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I can't remember a Virgin shop prior to the two they had on Briggate. One where Bella Pasta is and then more recently where Borders is now.I have tended to shop at Jumbo since it's merrion centre days and occasionally Crash for tickets.The Jumbo Elephant design it an iconic image from my youth.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: My great aunt (born 1901) used to tell a story of when she was walking back home to Armley after a night out in Leeds. The only other person on the street (not sure which one) was a policeman. He stepped into a shop doorway, and told her to do the same. Seconds later, hundreds of rats came running down the street like an army, filling the roadway. The bobby told her it happened most nights. I suppose this would have been about 1920ish? my mother in law told me the same tale,i seem to remember her telling me there was a large slum clearence going on and they(the long tails) headed for the river.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I seem to recall that when they were about to finish knocking the front part of Quarry Hill flats, the public were advised to stay away, all the drains, gullies and the like had net sacks put over them to catch all the rats.They also did the work over a weekend, I think it was a bank holiday weekend so that they had a longer time to complete the work.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: Si wrote: My great aunt (born 1901) used to tell a story of when she was walking back home to Armley after a night out in Leeds. The only other person on the street (not sure which one) was a policeman. He stepped into a shop doorway, and told her to do the same. Seconds later, hundreds of rats came running down the street like an army, filling the roadway. The bobby told her it happened most nights. I suppose this would have been about 1920ish? my mother in law told me the same tale,i seem to remember her telling me there was a large slum clearence going on and they(the long tails) headed for the river. Bloody hell Wiggy,my mother calls them long tails too.She was brought up on Quarry Hill and told me many times about my grandad finishing a shift at the post office in the 30s and having to get out of the way of an army of rats,i recall she said that they were usually around the current Market/Millgarth area,and may well be connected in some way with the beck that goes under the street naer the playhouse.She called them long tails because her grandfather was a deep sea fisherman in Scarborough,it was bad luck to say rats,so she was brought up to say longtail.There is also the same east yorkshire superstition that pigs are bad luck and are referred to as "Curly Tails"I remember a tale(yes pun intended) of an old boss of mine who was an East Yorkshire lad.He said there was a big inter pub darts match on one night,and the host pub were not doing well.When it came to a critical moment of the evening,and the a member of the visiting team was about to make a match deciding throw suddenly a piglet came out from nowhere,and ran across the Ockey in front of the player.Even when the uproar had died down and the little porker had been removed the player tried to take his throw but completely messed it up,as far as he was concerned "The Curly Tail " was bad luck and he might as well chuck it all in.Funntystuff superstitions.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: Si wrote: My great aunt (born 1901) used to tell a story of when she was walking back home to Armley after a night out in Leeds. The only other person on the street (not sure which one) was a policeman. He stepped into a shop doorway, and told her to do the same. Seconds later, hundreds of rats came running down the street like an army, filling the roadway. The bobby told her it happened most nights. I suppose this would have been about 1920ish? my mother in law told me the same tale,i seem to remember her telling me there was a large slum clearence going on and they(the long tails) headed for the river. Bloody hell Wiggy,my mother calls them long tails too.She was brought up on Quarry Hill and told me many times about my grandad finishing a shift at the post office in the 30s and having to get out of the way of an army of rats,i recall she said that they were usually around the current Market/Millgarth area,and may well be connected in some way with the beck that goes under the street naer the playhouse.She called them long tails because her grandfather was a deep sea fisherman in Scarborough,it was bad luck to say rats,so she was brought up to say longtail.There is also the same east yorkshire superstition that pigs are bad luck and are referred to as "Curly Tails"I remember a tale(yes pun intended) of an old boss of mine who was an East Yorkshire lad.He said there was a big inter pub darts match on one night,and the host pub were not doing well.When it came to a critical moment of the evening,and the a member of the visiting team was about to make a match deciding throw suddenly a piglet came out from nowhere,and ran across the Ockey in front of the player.Even when the uproar had died down and the little porker had been removed the player tried to take his throw but completely messed it up,as far as he was concerned "The Curly Tail " was bad luck and he might as well chuck it all in.Funntystuff superstitions. another one is monkeys,i am told its bad luck to say that word too,so they are called jaspers...no idea why.my dad worked in the wholesale market and abbotoir,at kirkgate,and he says the longtails in there were of epic numbers,if you put the lights on there was silence(this is in the early hours of course as they started work at 3am)but turn out the lights and you could hear an army of them,all scratching and gnawing...eeuuuurgh!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Moved to 'Days out' sectionCheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

Clankylad wrote: Boodle Am still sells hippy gear and is still in the same location. I was surprised to see it was so old!Record shops tend to be pretty ephemeral apart from the big chains. I remember a good second hand vinyl shop on New Briggate. Amazing Records, I think it was called. Singles upstairs, albums downstairs. Rare Frank Zappa records and the like up on the wall for £20. And there was also Bostocks in the Merrion Centre, which sold cheap albums. ‘Old Bosty’s’ was where most of my mates got the foundation of their metal collections. I think (although I'm willing to be corrected) that the shop in the Merrion Market was called Gerol's.Virgin also had a shop near the bottom of Briggate. It was where the ‘Free Spirit’ clothes shop is now. In the late 80s it moved up the street to what’s currently Borders. bostocks...i do remember them. they had a black and white bag. but i can't for the life of me remember whereabouts they were in the merrion centrei used to go to bostocks, crash and jumbo but i can't remember where any of them where, except one was behind morrisons...this was before the jumbo in st johns. is crash still open only on the headrow opposite primark? but they weren't always there i'm sure

Geordi

Post by Geordi »

Bostocks if I remember rightly was where the Half price jewlers / klick place is now.My fave was a shop which is now a taxi office round the corner from what used to be mr craigs at the top of brigate. You went in the front door and all the tapes were in wall mounted revolving racks on the left hand side. There also was a downstairs. Then it closed changed hands and opened up as a record / skate shop.There was also a downstairs one at the bottom of the alley that goes down the side of the arcade. It used to have a yellow frontage, I think it is a butty shop now.

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

there was a record shop in horsforth,on new road sid,great little shop,lady owner , she had everthing,from mozart to elvis.i remember every week behind the counter she had the latest top 20.in the 70s they had to sell a lot of records to get to number one, not like now.

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

and its not new road sid, its new road side