Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
liits

Post by liits »

On the Radio 4 Listen Again site [and also on iPlayer] is a program called 78 Revolutions. Very interesting indeed.Not sure if links to iPlayer work on here....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010t6p ... dio_fourfm

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi tilly. Do you know if there's any value to 78's?

Caron

Post by Caron »

tilly. Pity you're not nearer to me as I'd let mine go to a good home. Too heavy and fragile to post up to Leeds though. My 78's aren't RnR though. I've an original Ink Spots and Platters (I think) lol.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Caron wrote: Hi tilly. Do you know if there's any value to 78's? Depends what they are. I have a couple of thousand records of all sorts of genre. Tend to find that the more run of the mill stuff isn't worth much but things like Cliff Richard, Buddy Holly and the R&R stuff can be depending on condition and rarity. Some of the later Elvis stuff is quite valuable too depending on what the song is and if it has been played to death or not!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

tilly wrote: I also have 78s rock and roll.When I worked at Harding and Rhodes Water Lane I remember we sent hundreds of boxes of record needles for scrap this makes me think they made them there.They had different names ie his Masters Voice and i think Columbia plus others They did make pins for the wool industry so there is no reason to think they did not make record needles for other firms.I wonder how much the tins of needles would be worth today a lot more than scrap value I bet. Depending on the tin and condition anywhere from £8- £20 plus. There is an Edision tin shaped like a bell which is ultra rare and worth (if someone will pay it!) over £100

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Anyone remember anything about the record shop on Bramley Town Street in the 60's?    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi LSI Wow if we only had an idea how much they would be worth there must have been hundreds of tins of needles that went for scrap.But then there are lots of things i have had in the past when i was a kid eg medals badges and the like,Lots of items were about i once had an army belt with about fifteen regemental badges on it no repros at that time in the nineteen fiftys.First world war medals were ouite common and came up for swaps from time to time i was a bit of a Dell Boy back then has were most of the kids around our area. I once had a full length German leather coat ex forces also a book in German with photographs of Hitler plus Hitler Youth and the Army.Were are they now i have no idea but i wish i still had them, i think stuff like this was brought home by our troops after the war.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

tilly wrote: Hi LSI Wow if we only had an idea how much they would be worth there must have been hundreds of tins of needles that went for scrap.But then there are lots of things i have had in the past when i was a kid eg medals badges and the like,Lots of items were about i once had an army belt with about fifteen regemental badges on it no repros at that time in the nineteen fiftys.First world war medals were ouite common and came up for swaps from time to time i was a bit of a Dell Boy back then has were most of the kids around our area. I once had a full length German leather coat ex forces also a book in German with photographs of Hitler plus Hitler Youth and the Army.Were are they now i have no idea but i wish i still had them, i think stuff like this was brought home by our troops after the war.     Quite right in what you say Tilly. We thought nothing of it when someone brought a service revolver to school, with the firing pin filed off, naturally. One of my prized possessions was a bush-hat, the type with the brim turned up on one side, turn down the brim and it became a Stetson - great, just as long as you were always a cowboy and never an indian. I used to ask my uncle, whose hat it had been, why was the brim turned up on one side - always the same answer - so you didn't have to take it off when you were leaning against a wall. Ask a silly question...
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Wasnt there a trend for turning the old 78's into fruit bowls by holding them over a stove until they became soft and pliable? I doubt many survive like this as they are extremely brittle.I've passed up thousands of 78 rpm discs from the early to mid-20th century that I've found in skips and charity shop bins because unless you look through each and every one and have some knowledge of which ones are worth keeping they arent worth bothering about. Also you'd need a lot of storage space to keep the things in, plus they weigh a ton in any great volume. I've got a couple I kept with comedy recordings by Stanley Holloway that I occasionally listen to for a chuckle.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

liits

Post by liits »

jonleeds wrote: Wasnt there a trend for turning the old 78's into fruit bowls ....... There still is, and Camden Market thrives on tat of the like kind.