Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Dalehelms wrote: Thank you tyke bhoy. You are welcome, but perhaps we can establsh which part of the process of copy and paste you struggle with. You will need the SL page and your target page open in separate windows or tabs Locate the URL in the address bar of your target page (on reading this page it should start www.secretleeds) Highlight the entire URL (starts www and ends with a messageid after threadID=724 in this case Copy using one of several methods including menu selection edit>copy or pressing C while already holding Ctrl Now in your SL message paste using one of several methods including menu selection edit>paste or pressing V while already holding down Ctrl     
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Thank you, again. It was described to me by a familiar name on this site, but I didn't write the instructions down and consequently was unable to do what he had said!

Caron

Post by Caron »

Dalehelms wrote: Thank you, again. It was described to me by a familiar name on this site, but I didn't write the instructions down and consequently was unable to do what he had said! I still can't do it!Back to records... I remember my mam buying 45's now and again from a newsagents on Kirkstall Road in the 60's. They were 2nd hand juke box singles in a white sleeve with POP EX on the cover.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Caron wrote: Back to records... I remember my mam buying 45's now and again from a newsagents on Kirkstall Road in the 60's. They were 2nd hand juke box singles in a white sleeve with POP EX on the cover. And don't forget the If one was slightly misshaped, you sounded like you had a drunk singer
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I assume the youth of today won't have experienced the delights of lp's at 45rpm, 45's at 78 etc.Many centre of my records of youth said

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Don't want to appear a "Smart Alec" but I wonder if everyone is aware of the reason for 45s having a thicker label area than the outer playing surface ??    This was so that the "autochange" 8 or 10 record machine spindle mechanisms could "read" the thickness of the discs waiting aloft to be played, thereby dropping one only at a time. Most makes of machine, Garrard, Collaro etc etc., operated pretty well but a "new kid on the block" was the BSR Monarch which worked in a very threatening fast manner and gave the poor old 78rpm beauties a real rough handling, often causing them to "skid" when landing on the one beneath until the speeds of both were synchronised. I appreciate that HiFi reproduction nowadays is nothing short of miraculously good, but I still miss the magic of the old days and, yes, I still have a wind up gramophone and a good selection of 78s - and tins of "Songster" needles - soft, medium, loud and extra loud - made by J.Stead and Sons of Sheffield !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

BLAKEY wrote: Don't want to appear a "Smart Alec" but I wonder if everyone is aware of the reason for 45s having a thicker label area than the outer playing surface ??    This was so that the "autochange" 8 or 10 record machine spindle mechanisms could "read" the thickness of the discs waiting aloft to be played, thereby dropping one only at a time. Most makes of machine, Garrard, Collaro etc etc., operated pretty well but a "new kid on the block" was the BSR Monarch which worked in a very threatening fast manner and gave the poor old 78rpm beauties a real rough handling, often causing them to "skid" when landing on the one beneath until the speeds of both were synchronised. I appreciate that HiFi reproduction nowadays is nothing short of miraculously good, but I still miss the magic of the old days and, yes, I still have a wind up gramophone and a good selection of 78s - and tins of "Songster" needles - soft, medium, loud and extra loud - made by J.Stead and Sons of Sheffield !! Blakey, what gramophone do you have and do you have a particular type of 78 you collect? PM me if you can at [email protected]

tilly

Post by tilly »

I also have 78s rock and roll.When I worked at Harding and Rhodes Water Lane I remember we sent hundreds of boxes of record needles for scrap this makes me think they made them there.They had different names ie his Masters Voice and i think Columbia plus others They did make pins for the wool industry so there is no reason to think they did not make record needles for other firms.I wonder how much the tins of needles would be worth today a lot more than scrap value I bet.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron2

Post by Caron2 »

Sadly, my mother died two years ago and when going through her home I kept the 78's. Some of them were my granddads and I couldn't part with them.Reading the sleeves reveals they were purchased at the following music stores in Leeds: Hartley's Music Stores, 79 Vicar Lane, (also 14 Wells Rd Ilkley and 32 Commercial Street, Shipley). F. Widdop, 21 Queen's Arcade. J.Hynes & Son, 168 Kirkstall Road, (also at West Street). Woodall's Record Exchange, 90 Wellington Street and 26 Burley Road and lastly, R & D Eley, 275 Kirkstall Road. Reading the sleeves of the records is an education

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Well, If anyone wants to get rid of their 78's let me know. I collect them, have loads. Particularly rock and roll and big band stuff...!