Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Not sure if this one has been mentioned before.*Sir Yanks reggae record shop*http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/3204836546/ Well I never knew that! Is it recent? Yes the photo is only a few years old, as far as I know Sir Yanks had been there ages, and is still there to this day.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="Jogon"] Phill_dvsn wrote: Not sure if this one has been mentioned before.*Sir Yanks reggae record shop*http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/3204836546/ Well I never knew that! Is it recenthttp://g.co/maps/7r6c6Wonder if he got planning permission ?     

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Not sure if this one has been mentioned before.*Sir Yanks reggae record shop*http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/3204836546/Sir Yanks can be found hidden away in a converted hayloft in the back streets of Chapletown. Not only has to be the smallest record shop in Leeds, it's probably the smallest in the whole of the U.K!          Used to get tunes from there in the 70's as that was the only place to get good reggae stuff.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

There are quite a lot of D.J's and that type of thing around Chapletown/Harehills. I had the misfortune to have to change post rounds when Royal Mail 'improved the service' you know in the old days you got your mail before 10 a.m, and now they've improved it they guarantee to deliver by midnight...nuff said They got a lot of albums delivered by post, a dam nuisance as they don't go through a letter box, why they can't use c.d's I'll never know.It was all 'dubstar mix' and that kind of thing, think I'd prefer to listen to a pneumatic drill than that lol Anyway back to the point...here is a quirky fence made up of musical notes on Harehills lanehttp://g.co/maps/ue26k            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

book

Post by book »

kango wrote: book wrote: My sister worked at Scene and Heard next to the precinct pub. I used to get loads of samples off her for nothing from bands that were trying to break through. Remember seeing Sparks and Golden Earring at Leeds Uni confectory And going to the blues clubs on a Sunday afternoon in Chapletown.    I heard today on radio 4 that the lead singer in Dr Feelgood is publishing his biography. Did they ever play Leeds? I'd forgotten how good they were until they played an old track on radio today. Dr Feelgoods lead singer Lee Brilleaux died in 1994 so it may be lead guitarist Wilko Johnson they are referring to.Kango.     Yes that's right kango wilko
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's such a long time back since I bought a record I've forgotten just where I bought them, though they would have been bought in Leeds. I've just been loking at my now long never-used collection of 33½rpm LPs and 45rpm small records. The oldest will likely have been bought in the mid (or a bit after) 1960s, with few after that decade. It's interesting seeing the names on the sleeves of the 45s, such as Parlophone, Columbia, London, Bell Records, RCA, Pye International and others. Though I liked the Beatles I cannot have been much of a buyer of their records as I only seem to have that with Yellow Submarine on one side and Eleanor Rigby on the other (Parlophone and dated copyright 1966).My oldest 33½ may be an LP 'The voice of Winston Churchill' that is dated copyright 1964 though I think it will have been released in 1965 (or after) being the year that he died. I have the LP 'Hair' (Polydor copyright 1968 though possibly released after then). Inside the sleeve I've found the brochure that I bought when I saw the touring production of 'Hair' at the Grand Theatre. I wonder if anyone can recall when that was, as I cannot readily at least find anything on the Internet and there seems to be nothing in SL. The brochure states additional copies of the brochure can be bought for "5/- post free" (25p in New Money!) so it must presumably have been before early 1971 when decimalisation came in.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: . I have the LP 'Hair' (Polydor copyright 1968 though possibly released after then). Inside the sleeve I've found the brochure that I bought when I saw the touring production of 'Hair' at the Grand Theatre. I wonder if anyone can recall when that was, as I cannot readily at least find anything on the Internet and there seems to be nothing in SL. The brochure states additional copies of the brochure can be bought for "5/- post free" (25p in New Money!) so it must presumably have been before early 1971 when decimalisation came in. Hair 15th Sept/24th Oct 1970 at the Grand. I found this on Leodis in the Leeds Play BillsBe aware when opening the link http://www.leodis.net/playbills/enlarge ... 0_26139468    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: Leodian wrote: . I have the LP 'Hair' (Polydor copyright 1968 though possibly released after then). Inside the sleeve I've found the brochure that I bought when I saw the touring production of 'Hair' at the Grand Theatre. I wonder if anyone can recall when that was, as I cannot readily at least find anything on the Internet and there seems to be nothing in SL. The brochure states additional copies of the brochure can be bought for "5/- post free" (25p in New Money!) so it must presumably have been before early 1971 when decimalisation came in. Hair 15th Sept/24th Oct 1970 at the Grand. I found this on Leodis in the Leeds Play BillsBe aware when opening the link http://www.leodis.net/playbills/enlarge ... 0_26139468     Cheers uncle mick. That's appreciated.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Popman15

Post by Popman15 »

I bought my first record in 1971 with my first wage packet. Though at the time I was living in Perth in Australia. However, we returned in 1973 and from there I began a wonderful relationship with the record shops of Leeds. Barkers on The Headrow, the original Virgin shop on Queen Victoria Street before moving onto two seperate Briggate shops. All three Kennedys - Eastgate, where the shop was split level, George Street and the outside market - they used to sell ex juke box singles 30p each or four for £1 . Scene And Heard on Kirkgate, great for when I got into punk - the guys downstairs were really on the ball. The HMV shop on Duncan Street (though for some reason I thought it was called The EMI Shop), then the later reincarnations next to Marks & Sparks rear entrance bottom of Lands Lane then Schofields Centre. . Melgary Music in Grand Arcade, great for Rock n Roll. Both Vallances - New Market Street and Headrow. Len Lyons on Mill Hill. The big department stores were great also, Woolies downstairs, Boots on the top floor ( Millets took over the premises on Briggate when they moved to the Bond Street Centre and they, for a short time carried on the good work) and of course Lewis' down in the basement.I also remember a record shop in the late 1970s on Albion Place. It was downstairs, but i remember the floor of the shop window had a (deliberate) circular hole in it so you could see right down into the shop. Don't remember it's name but I recall being amazed to find a copy of The Shape I'm In by Johnny Restivo there.Project Records on Domestic Street. In the 1980s I worked at Garforth Railway station, and often found myself in a rather excellent record shop on Main Street there (again, the name escapes me). Finally, in the 90s there was a good one on Queen Victoria Street down towards Vicar Lane end, where I bought my final brand new vinyl album, Grand Prix by Teenage Fanclub. I really feel sorry for the youth of today, they will never know the joy of wandering into a proper record shop and spending hours sifting through the wares. Oh the memories!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

We very senior ones - oh, go on then, Old gimmers - can remember an even greater treat. You could go into all the major record shops ask for a few 78rpm shellac discs "to hear" and go into a private booth and put them on the turntable yourself. When you look back, this was totally wrong to be honest, as when you actually bought a "new" record it could well have been played by "half of Leeds" and quite possibly damaged, and certainly part worn I bought my very first LP ( these had just been invented in the early 1950s) and held us in awe as an absolute miracle. Mine was a TEN inch LP (these were quite rare and soon ceased being issued) - it was a selection of folk songs by the wonderful Burl Ives and I have it still - Brunswick LA 8552. It cost an awful lot of money, almost two pounds which, by comparison with today, WAS a heck of an amount. Younger folks just can't comprehend that the first players need separate styli for "78"s and "33"s ("45"s were yet to come). Some players had two different "plug in" pick up heads, later superceded by single cartridges with "turnover" stylii.Golden days indeed !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.