Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
purplezulu

Post by purplezulu »

I remember the Corn Exchange being empty and dusty about 30 years ago. My parents used to help out at the annual RSPCA jumble sale that was held there.This was before the hole in the floor was cut out; it was a huge open floor space. A lot of the rooms that are now shops still had lots of little wooden desks in them, me Dad told me they were what the traders did their trading on when it was ‘an exchange’. They were like time capsules those rooms, some looked like they hadn’t been disturbed for years. I was dying to go in and nosy about but seeing as I was just a kid it was perhaps as well that I couldn’t.They must have found some right treasures when they did the place up, I often wonder what happened to all those little desks and the historic stuff that must have been in there.When I went back in years later, when it was full of unique little shops I was so impressed and proud that Leeds had the foresight to make such good use of this beautiful building. If it is now going downhill after being such a success that is nothing short of criminal     
Better a 'sinner' than a hypocrite

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I attended a couple of dog shows in the Corn Exchange over 40 years ago.it used to be a regular venue but stopped when then owners decided it was too much effort to clean up.I too remember the dusty old tables etc.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

weenie

Post by weenie »

i remember going to corn exchange many of times just to visit the little shops. i use to remember a little stall at the bottom that made jewellery out of empty cans of pop, very impressive and very creative stuff too.

purplezulu

Post by purplezulu »

Yeah Weenie I remember that stall Bought my Brother a scooter made from green beer cans, might have been carlsburgh. He loved it. He still has it now on a shelf in his living room. Steve J - Ha ha bet it wasn't much fun cleaning up after a dog show, can't blame 'em really for deciding against it in the end. I bet you are wishing you took some photos back then of thoses little rooms, I know I am.
Better a 'sinner' than a hypocrite

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

I remember the model railway exhibition thingy there, not that i ever cared much for model railways, but for some reason i got sent to it for about 4 years running.Some years later, i was told that the toilets on the outside/under the building were a hotbed of illicit activity O_o
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

wilfbarr

Post by wilfbarr »

Leeds Lass wrote: I absolutely love the Corn Exchange on a Saturday!!! Breakfast at Brodericks, (with a free 2nd cappucino, no less), then just sitting back and people watching!!! There are 100's of Goths who congregate outside every week and I've never seen an ounce of trouble!I remember going in there with my dad in the late 70's. There were no shops then, but the middle of the floor was taken up with wooden "lecturns", presumably where the corn traders bargained, bought and sold from? Eeeh, them were the days, eh?!!! i can remember several guys in bowler hats with umbrellas going to and fro not like the yuppies today with their mobil computers wilfbarr
wilfbarr