Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
stevief

Post by stevief »

arry awk wrote: Right,you Young'uns!When I joined the Army Cadet Force (2nd Battalion West Yorks Regt)! In Nov. 1 9 4 2! Me an' me mate had to go to the Corn exchange to be kitted out! The upper floor offices (cells)were used as Quartermaster Stores for Army Cadets ,Home Guard,ARP wardens and other Cadet forces like ATC and Navy.Even the OCTU Future Army Officers 'Ruperts' and 'Tarquins' from the Grammarschools and colleges were kitted out there!I was issued with Battledress top and trousers forage cap and badge and a pair of 'gaiters' (anklets). No Boots,had to provide my own! As I was only 4ft.11" in those days. my trousers waistband was up under my armpits and the legs were at least 6" too long!At least I could tuck em into my gaiters! With out the gaiters,they said I looked like Snow White's 'Dopey' in his trailing nightshirt!So Crewel, one's peers!Enjoyed every minute in the ACF which I stayed in until I joined the RAF! How daft is that? I was just too young for the Army so they suggested the Boy Service in the Airforce. Anyway,they had sheets on the beds, proper shirts and ties in the RAF,So Im' gladI joined and helped with the Brylcreem Trade enormously! see NEXTThreadArry Does that mean you were one of the "Few"then 'Arry!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi StevieNo,I was just a bit too young to be one of those Heroes.(15 when the war finished in 1945)I was just a Telegraphist (Sparks) from 'passing out' in 1948until demob in 1956. Only flew as a passenger going betweenRAF units. Not very glamorous at all!Cheers.Arry

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

stevief wrote: Does that mean you were one of the "Few"then 'Arry! The owd gimmer has allus been MY hero, Stevie (well, he is me dad like!) But do NOT tell him!!! Don't let him play hissen down tho, he was in Aden at the beginning of the Suez crisis and had to put up wi' sandstorms, scorpions, mosquitos and the locals! However, his dad was a hero in the true sense of the word. Captured near Dunkirk fighting rearguard action, to let others get away safetly. Lee Enfield rifles were no match for nazi Tiger Tanks.But sorry - I've taken this thread WAAY off topic...back to the Corn Exchange!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

stevief

Post by stevief »

Scandy Bramley wrote: stevief wrote: Does that mean you were one of the "Few"then 'Arry! The owd gimmer has allus been MY hero, Stevie (well, he is me dad like!) But do NOT tell him!!! Don't let him play hissen down tho, he was in Aden at the beginning of the Suez crisis and had to put up wi' sandstorms, scorpions, mosquitos and the locals! However, his dad was a hero in the true sense of the word. Captured near Dunkirk fighting rearguard action, to let others get away safetly. Lee Enfield rifles were no match for nazi Tiger Tanks.But sorry - I've taken this thread WAAY off topic...back to the Corn Exchange! No, it's been fascinating stuff.Anyone who fights for King/Queen and country in any conflict at any time is a hero in my book!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Oy! ScandyladNo, you CAN'T borra 50quid!Wonder which 'Dad' you were takkin' aboot?I was in Egypt long BEFORE the Suez cockup, but spent 2 years, mainly in Iraq, at Shaibah Nr Basra, and Habbaniya near BaghdadThings were fairly quiet in those days long before Saddamand the Shi-ite (pardon!)and Sunni turmoil.Had some worrying times for three months in 1951,when Mossadeqwas trying to snatch the oil fields back for the Iranians!It wor bluddy 'ot with frequent sandstorms but we did have a small swimming pool on camp and plenty of ale in the Naafi and we could get down to Basra to see the 'sights'(!) once a fortnight(on payday)Never got to Aden!Records adjusted accordingly?Arrydad!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ahah! I see where the confusion lies. There is a place called "The Gate of Shaibah at the entrance to Aden...When I first found Google years ago, I looked up Shaibah and the Gate was the only reference back then. I've been thinking you wus based there ever since since!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

jane666

Post by jane666 »

a friend told me today he'd heard a rumour that the corn exchange is booting out it's tenants and turning the whole place into an organic food market!! is this true? does anyone know?
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Their website has talked about 'realising its greater potentil' Jane, but nothing more by way of clues. But then with a refurb budget of £1.5M - this will have to be recouped from somewhere and probably from higher rents from those who can aford them.

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

I'd love to hear more stories of the aforementioned Corn Exchange ghosts, if anyone has any!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

jane666 wrote: a friend told me today he'd heard a rumour that the corn exchange is booting out it's tenants and turning the whole place into an organic food market!! is this true? does anyone know? Looks like its true,its on the front page of the YEP
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]