Secret Football ground

Your favourite days out round Leeds
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Tucked away between York Road, Ossy Lane and Skelton Road is what was once a football ground.It is entirely fenced high, razor wired, padlock gated and if you do a once round it you can't see in it.i played the local soccer scene for years but knew nothing of this ground or who played there.I do know Hunslet Rugby wanted to use it in 1973 but weren't allowed.Is it a front for some sinister activity?Is it a Leeds Guantanamo Bay.Why all the security for a footy pitch??????

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

When looked at on Google Earth it looks just like a football pitch, nothing more nothing less !

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Thanks for that.But a football ground for whom?never known anyone play there????Locked, blocked off, high fenced, razor wire?????Are the owners scared that the turf will be nicked or the pitch markings stolen???Let's face it unless someone can explain this place it will remain a probable nuclear launch site?

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I wonder if St Pat's played there? My grandad lived in Appleton Grove and i played on that field as well as the tennic courts from the old YMCa when I was a nipper. I never realised no-on eplayed ont he pitch. It had a stand so at some point someone did.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

volvojack

Re: Secret Football ground

Post by volvojack »

When we played football for Mt St. Mary's school Richmond Hill we played most of the local schools and by and large they all were played on East End Park (home or away) One time we played a Cup Final against Victoria School that was played on what we kids referred to as the U.M.Y. It was one of the few pitches that was gated and fenced off. certainly in the area you mention
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As a kid in the late 1940s to early 1950s I used to watch football there. My recollection (for what that is worth nowadays ;) ) is that it was the football ground for the East End Park Working Mens Club. With my pals we often used to watch matches by climbing on a roof of the Osmondthorpe Rope Works that was by the side of the ground nearest to Ings Road.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In this Final I was playing on the left wing and being marked by William Knott who playing / played for Leeds United Storm cocks and City Boys. He was a Legend around East Leeds not only for his football ability but he was much bigger than your average schoolboy , he had a moustache and more hair on his legs than I had around my willy. I was petrified with nerves, can't recall the score but this monster carried off the cup. Every one tipped him to be a Super star but I think he just never made it.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Definitely the site of East End Park FC: http://www.eep.webeden.co.uk/. I'm not sure why they don't have any signs up (according to Google Streetview) unless they've been pinched.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:As a kid in the late 1940s to early 1950s I used to watch football there. My recollection (for what that is worth nowadays ;) ) is that it was the football ground for the East End Park Working Mens Club. With my pals we often used to watch matches by climbing on a roof of the Osmondthorpe Rope Works that was by the side of the ground nearest to Ings Road.
It looks like Leodian is correct http://www.eep.webeden.co.uk/#/ground/4514735218 It did have a stand at one point and therefore presumably some pay to watch games which would have merited some security.

oops just beaten to it
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

As a boy in school v early 60s I rember progressing to the Bishops Cup Final and going to a well manicured pitch just off Osmondthorpe road nr Neville hill goods yard. No idea who played there or even if its still there but after playing on school and council pitches it seemed like Wembley.
batchoy