Ideal pub crawl

Your favourite days out round Leeds
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

skippy wrote: hi cnosni in the 60s i used to go on a pub crawl with my mate we would go to the prospect on south accom. then to the slip inn.then the hampton and white horse and always finish in the woodpecker. those were the days when us lasses were safe they were no rippers about and we could have a good night out thanks for thread it was good to read Here is something weird,i never ever,ever,ever saw anyone go in or out of the Woodpecker!!Was there a secret underground entrance ????I used to pass it regularly before my drinking years and all i can remember is that there was a sign in the window showing off their new dj "booth",which was a car,possibly a vauxhall viva or something like that.the sign went on to say that the pub was running a prize competition to see if anyone could guess how they got the car in the pub,they claimed that they did not dismantle it before re assembling it in the pub.Anyone else remember that?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

double post
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Si wrote: Eight weeks??? Without a pint? Bloody hell!!! Who said without a pint. I still drank pints, usually lemonade and usually more expensive than the beer. It was interesting paying about 4 times as much for a pint as it was for 2 litres of supermarket lemonade which at getting on for 4 pints meant almost 16 times as much.Also it wasn't eight weeks, quite
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

I know what you mean, Tyke bhoy. A mate of mine was charged £1.20 for a pint of orange squash in the New Inn in Calverley. And that was in 1989!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: As a lad my ideal crawl used to end up in east end park,which was a mecca for pubs in the mid 80s.Like a fool i would start up near home at the Compton,down to either the sportsman or straight to the Victoria with its pool tables in one room and the whole new rage of the video jukebox in the other room.then over the fence on York road and then the world was your oyster,Hampton(nice bits of brass on the walls),Yew tree, Fish hut,Black Dog,slip inn,Hope,then down on east street if i had not had enough snake bites.I say like a fool because by the end of the night i was skint and had to walk back to the Compton,pissed,and usually called in Lupton fisheries for TWO chip butties with scraps!!why did i not start the evening in East end Park and gradually work my way back.Does any one have an old crawl and what,if any is now your perfect drinking night out.I expect replies from the usual suspects big dittos matey,except i started in the fairway afore dropping down t'compton.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: As a lad my ideal crawl used to end up in east end park,which was a mecca for pubs in the mid 80s.Like a fool i would start up near home at the Compton,down to either the sportsman or straight to the Victoria with its pool tables in one room and the whole new rage of the video jukebox in the other room.then over the fence on York road and then the world was your oyster,Hampton(nice bits of brass on the walls),Yew tree, Fish hut,Black Dog,slip inn,Hope,then down on east street if i had not had enough snake bites.I say like a fool because by the end of the night i was skint and had to walk back to the Compton,pissed,and usually called in Lupton fisheries for TWO chip butties with scraps!!why did i not start the evening in East end Park and gradually work my way back.Does any one have an old crawl and what,if any is now your perfect drinking night out.I expect replies from the usual suspects big dittos matey,except i started in the fairway afore dropping down t'compton. Got kicked out of the Fairway at 16.Tried drawing a tache on mi top lip wi a pencil to try and mek it look like i was older,dint wuk.The slang thread is getting to mi.any way wiggy how come its taken so long for you to tag on to this thread?

skippy

Post by skippy »

hi there are you taking the p**** the door into the woodpecker was at the front a double one at that i should know i lived up beckett st and it was the early 70s when they knocked it down to build the flyover and the double cariageway up york rd
brenda littlejohn

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

skippy wrote: hi there are you taking the p**** the door into the woodpecker was at the front a double one at that i should know i lived up beckett st and it was the early 70s when they knocked it down to build the flyover and the double cariageway up york rd Im not extracting the Urine,it was genuine.The Woodpecker was before my time so cannot speak from experience but even though it may have had double doors does that mean that what was behind those doors would have been able to allow a car through,anyone able to solve this?

skippy

Post by skippy »

hi there dont speak of what you dont know about then the pub was a bit dowdy inside but it was friendly a good crowd of regulars who never said a bad word about anyone
brenda littlejohn

parksider

Post by parksider »

Hi allwe did the Dewsbury road walk..err crawl..started at the Junction..Junkie..then round to the Moorhouse...threw a few darts..then over to the Blooming rose..across the moor..then maybe a bus up to the new inn depended on the weather..If we had time walked up to the Broadway..the posh pub..Then up to tommy wass...Great times then...had a piano in the Broadway..we sang elvis songs..Cheers allparksider