Ideal pub crawl

Your favourite days out round Leeds
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

As a lad my ideal crawl used to end up in east end park,which was a mecca for pubs in the mid 80s.Like a fool i would start up near home at the Compton,down to either the sportsman or straight to the Victoria with its pool tables in one room and the whole new rage of the video jukebox in the other room.then over the fence on York road and then the world was your oyster,Hampton(nice bits of brass on the walls),Yew tree, Fish hut,Black Dog,slip inn,Hope,then down on east street if i had not had enough snake bites.I say like a fool because by the end of the night i was skint and had to walk back to the Compton,pissed,and usually called in Lupton fisheries for TWO chip butties with scraps!!why did i not start the evening in East end Park and gradually work my way back.Does any one have an old crawl and what,if any is now your perfect drinking night out.I expect replies from the usual suspects
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

In the mid to late 70s - Old Roundabout, Huddersfield Arms, Sun, Oddfellows, George and into Pudsey. Usually finished up at the White Cross for chucking out time and then chips and curry sauce (what was I thinking of?) and walk/bus/lift home.

Si

Post by Si »

Nowadays, it's Otley and the Bay Horse, Black Bull, Junction, Yeoman for one minute stagger home (notice there are fewer pubs now!)Cheers Si

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

These days i feel i have adjusted my crawl,if not exactly to a fine art then certainly to more polished end to the evening,which judging by restaurant developments at Clarence Dock may improve even more.I usually go round town no particular order,with different starting points,though we usually kick off at the Palace,then Duck and Drake,Whitelocks,occasionally Pack Horse,Angel (sometimes never leave the Angel till closing time,love Old Brewry Pal Ale!!),Horse and Trumpet and sometimes the North Bar and then Akbars on Eastgate, because in my old age i realised that having a quality curry in a restaurant at the end of the night kills two birds with one stone:-1- Curry mmmmmm2- Wait in restaurant for Taxi,sat down warm and dry and drinking after the pubs have closed.Now that it looks like there id=s going to be a Mumtaz at Clarence Dock then i think we may turn the route around to finish at the Palace to get to MumtazDecisions,decisions,decisions.........
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

slw

Post by slw »

We used to go into Leeds City Centre on a Saturday night and the pub/bar crawl would usually go something like,The Conservatory Observatory, The Bank, The Boulevard, Stumps, Yell and then Ritzy or Top Banana at the Town & Country Club. Sometimes go to The Bond, PackHorse or the Guildford to start with. Then on the way home we would go via Capones pizza shop or The Alternative kebab shop which were on New Briggate.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

slw wrote: We used to go into Leeds City Centre on a Saturday night and the pub/bar crawl would usually go something like,The Conservatory Observatory, The Bank, The Boulevard, Stumps, Yell and then Ritzy or Top Banana at the Town & Country Club. Sometimes go to The Bond, PackHorse or the Guildford to start with. Then on the way home we would go via Capones pizza shop or The Alternative kebab shop which were on New Briggate. Ah yes,the alernative kebab shop.In fact im sure that there were eventually 2 of them,quite apt considering it was called alternative 2.The Guildford was a top pub,though now changed a lot the premises still have real ale on,well at least the last tim i went they did.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Well there is of course the students Otley Road run, which I never did but starts or ends at Woodies Ale House, 3 Horse Shoes, New Inn, Skyrack, Original Oak a bit of a break to the Hyde Park, another break to the Pack Horse then the Eldon and the Fenton. You can add Arcadia, the box, the library, quilted llama, and dry dock in more recent years.My new years resolution used to be going on the wagonnn to my birthday. Not too hard as my birthday is less than 8 weeks into the year but usually ended with a pub crawl on Great George street. The George, the Hogs Head, the Victoria, felon and Firkin (o'neils), carpe dieme, browns 37, courtyard and if desperate edwards.More recently we have been discussing a real ale cluster in the same vicinity which would include Mr Foley's (previously Dr Okels and baroque), town Hall tavern (now serving Timmy Taylors), the Victoria and the Cuthbert Broderick (previously Qube and cocoon in millennium square)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

Eight weeks??? Without a pint? Bloody hell!!!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

tyke bhoy wrote: Well there is of course the students Otley Road run, which I never did but starts or ends at Woodies Ale House, 3 Horse Shoes, New Inn, Skyrack, Original Oak a bit of a break to the Hyde Park, another break to the Pack Horse then the Eldon and the Fenton. You can add Arcadia, the box, the library, quilted llama, and dry dock in more recent years.My new years resolution used to be going on the wagonnn to my birthday. Not too hard as my birthday is less than 8 weeks into the year but usually ended with a pub crawl on Great George street. The George, the Hogs Head, the Victoria, felon and Firkin (o'neils), carpe dieme, browns 37, courtyard and if desperate edwards.More recently we have been discussing a real ale cluster in the same vicinity which would include Mr Foley's (previously Dr Okels and baroque), town Hall tavern (now serving Timmy Taylors), the Victoria and the Cuthbert Broderick (previously Qube and cocoon in millennium square) Like the sound of the real ale cluster,dont forget scarborough taps and the Prince of Wales,not in the cluster but worth a sidetrack wobble,diagonally of course.

skippy

Post by skippy »

hi cnosni in the 60s i used to go on a pub crawl with my mate we would go to the prospect on south accom. then to the slip inn.then the hampton and white horse and always finish in the woodpecker. those were the days when us lasses were safe they were no rippers about and we could have a good night out thanks for thread it was good to read
brenda littlejohn