Christmas in Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well i doubt very much if i'll have heard of em!! And doubt even more there worth listening too! Who ever they are i reckon Lord Charles dummy will have more personality. These young kids in the pop world these days just don't seem have what it takes huh? God bless Keith Moon!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Phil, how could you!....What about our very own Kaiser Chiefs and a few more local bands beside? Be interesting to listen to The Electric Prom this week.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well i suppose they come from Leeds but still there not going to be feared, revered or remembered in 40yrs time in any way like Hendrix, Lennon or any other of the great legends do you think? I suppose there not too bad, it's more of this karaoke type twoddle that gets on my nerves! MUSAK!!! (sorry Kaiser fans it's only my opinion)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

stevief

Post by stevief »

dsco wrote: Hehe - that is some seriously top secret info. Too secret for them to tell me ... too secret even for SecretLeeds.You'll just have to listen to the radio closer to the time. Sorry!dsco "Listen to the radio" Is that a subtle clue.Oh no!! Not Chris Moyles AGAIN. God 'elp us...

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Quote: "Listen to the radio" Is that a subtle clue.Oh no!! Not Chris Moyles AGAIN. God 'elp us... Lol, no don't think it is a clue ... info on the site says "For the latest information and details of the show, listen out to Real Radio 106-108fm from Thursday 1st November"

munki

Post by munki »

If we knew, we couldn't tell you. If we told you, we'd have to kill you.This message will self-destruct in five seconds...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

You don't have to tell us, just give us clues. If it's owt like that bridge from the quarry at Pool Bank quiz, it'll be New Year before guess anyway

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

In all honesty, the organisers won't tell us.I know some of the guys in the events team pretty well, and they have never even whispered it - not so much as a hint.So even if I wanted to give clues, I couldn't, cos I dunno!And Phill, take heart - there's plenty of innovation in modern music, just not by Kaiser Chiefs or Corinne Bailey Rae (though I'm sure they're all lovely people). But you can't really expect them to come up with a new innovative sound in genres that are 40 or 50 years old. It's like the state of trad jazz when The Beatles took over the headline slot at the Cavern Club from George Melly, Humph Lyttelton et al - the formal possibilities of the genre had all been exhausted and it was time to move on. It's not to say they have no value, only that you can't come up with earth-shattering innovations in the same way any more.As with most musical developments in the past, these things are driven by technology (whether it's the evolution of the piano in classical music; the impact of the saxophone on jazz; the electification of the guitar turning blues into rock; or Stevie Wonder discovering TONTO for the first time.)So get down the electronic music section of Jumbo and get involved. Try a bit of Matthew Herbert (the album he produced for Roisin Murphy, formerly of Moloko, is just gorgeous), Recloose, Moodyman, Carl Craig, or, if you're feeling really brave - go see Neil Landstrumm at The Warehouse in a week or so. I guarantee it won't sound in the slightest bit bland or derivative, and it's got all the energy of The Who at their noisiest. These are the type of people we should still be talking about in 20 to 30 years.As for most of the modern guitar bands, I present Exhibit (a): Stop Making Sense DVD by Talking Heads (got a copy free with the paper the other week - woot!) David Byrne did it all before. A long time ago. And much better.Ooops - looks like I went off topic. And got all gnarled and cynical - thanks Phill ... "That is all"dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Seems to me your challenge is to take your pals from the events team out on the lash - a few Stella's will soon loosen the seams of the biggest bag of sush......

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Um, maybe - though I'm not sure that I'm all that interested in finding out really! That Girls Aloud type stuff ain't really my bag baby.Always room for a few Stellas (or perhaps Leeds Bests) though I guess dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.