Secret Leeds - Everbody Welcome - Beer Pop and Crisp Night

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Happy Valley

Secret Leeds - Everbody Welcome - Beer Pop and Crisp Night

Post by Happy Valley »

With the new look to the forum and the upcoming madness leading up to the annual seasonal holiday, it got me thinking that it was about time the forum had another beer pop and crisp night discussed and arranged.

Despite lurking on here since early 2008, I have wanted to, but for one reason or another I’ve never managed to get over for one of these, so I’ve been thinking I really must make the effort to show up at the next one.

From memory of reading the other forum meets held anytime between now and Christmas, I know that it can be a bit of a problem both dates wise for work commitments, clashes with other parties etc for members, so to avoid some of the seasonal chaos that generally stops people attending and the higher prices for hiring the room during the busy season, I was thinking that perhaps something happening early in the new year when room hiring is quieter might be a good idea, so that we can get as many members to attend as possible. It will probably be easier and cheaper for those who don’t live in Leeds to find and book a hotel room too.

As I am one of the ones that will be on pop, suitable venues in Leeds that serve real ale are really not my strong point, so all suggestions for venues are more than welcome from those with far better knowledge of real ale pubs. Living in the Calder Valley and public transport doesn’t help much, so if anybody local fancies taking over this side of things, that really is fine with me.

Obviously it shouldn’t really need saying, but all members past and present and all non member lurkers are welcome to attend, if you are a lurker feel free to sign up to the forum and add your interest to attend or just follow the thread for the date and venue to be confirmed and just turn up on the night.

j.c.d.

Re: Secret Leeds - Everbody Welcome - Beer Pop and Crisp Night

Post by j.c.d. »

Sounds like a nice idea,may I suggest that as good roomy pubs are getting harder to find you could consider having a room in one of the social / working mens clubs around Leeds. A. they are usually more comfortable, B. No fancy prices for drinks and C. you would not have to pay any monies for the hire of the room as these days most clubs would be glad to have a roomful of guests midweek (?)
A good example is Harehills W.M..Club which has a large comfortable lounge that is not used every night. Just a thought.

liits

Post by liits »

Having a meet-up after Xmas is a good idea. Pre Christmas is always a bit fraught; fitting it in with work and other commitments has always been a problem [and there was the problem a few years ago where the pub was running out of beer!]

jim

Post by jim »

I'm in, provided I don't have a gig booked on the selected night.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I'm up up for it too but like Jim only if I'm not gigging.

Not sure about WMC's as a venue because although the steward may be glad of extra punters, it is a club he's running so membership would be required for entrance and I suspect a lot of forum members are like myself not CIU affiliated.
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Tue 10 Nov, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Don't think that would be a problem . Most clubs have darts and domino matches each week where visitors are welcome. usually a club official signs them in "En Bloc" (Ey up Gipton Lad).
as I posted earlier most licensed premises would be glad of the business, especially after Christmas.

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

Looking online it looks like Harehills WMC has ladies only night and quiz night mid week, and books entertainment for Friday and Sunday nights, so they only take room hire bookings for Saturday nights, which is free for over 100 guests.

No room hire price is given online for lower guest numbers, but if we can get an idea of some suitable dates and head numbers to work with first, I’m not sure if we can get over 100 guests to commit and turn up on the night at this stage, but I’m happy to give them a ring and get some prices and free dates and see if we need to have any registered club members on our guest list, or if we all need to be CIU affiliated.

Any other venue suggestions to look into are more than welcome. It probably doesn’t have to be at a real ale place, but I seem to remember that this was the preferred option for the re-launch party.

From memory I think the room hire charge for the SL re-launch party was somewhere around the £150 mark at this time of year, and was kindly booked and paid in full by a very generous member, but I have forgotten which member it was, please feel free to shout up if it was you, because it deserves to be remembered and not forgotten about in a long dead thread.

Likewise I cannot remember who wrote the SL quiz for the last one, but if they would like to shout up and do another for the next one, that would be lovely.

Without hitting up search - which is missing from the new look forum at the moment, I cannot remember when exactly the original website was launched in 2007, but something like February rings a bell with me, if so somewhere around this date might be a good idea, and would be as good as excuse as any to add some cake to the mix.

I have just had a quick look on the Tyrell Mobile website to see if it gave an original launch date, but other than saying it was started by Duncan in 2007, it only gives dates for when Duncan repaired the broken old forum and Tyrell took over running Secret Leeds again.

Hopefully we can work out a date that won’t clash with any booked gigs, please feel free both of you to add any known gig booking dates so that we can avoid booking anything on these dates.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Steve Jones was the generous benefactor and Geodie Exile compiled the quiz.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tyke bhoy wrote:Steve Jones was the generous benefactor and Geodie Exile compiled the quiz.

Indeed Steve was the generous benefactor of that excellent night which was felt should not go unrewarded so a Whip round was held to show our appreciation for his extremely kind generosity.

Cnosni won the quiz again. FIX!!

As for gig nights only Saturdays are out for me.

jim

Post by jim »

Currently not available Sun Feb 7th, Fri Mar 4th.