West Riding to West Africa - Sistering Locomotives 23.5.15

Your favourite days out round Leeds
LeedsMuseums

West Riding to West Africa - Sistering Locomotives 23.5.15

Post by LeedsMuseums »

Join us on our incredible journey from Leeds to Sierra Leone and beyond!
Saturday 23rd May to Monday 25th May 2015, 11am – 5pm at Leeds Industrial Museum

2015 marks the 10th anniversary of the opening of the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum, 40 years since the closure of the railways in Sierra Leone and the 100th birthday of Nellie – a locomotive transported to Sierra Leone during the First World War by Leeds based Manning Wardle & Company.

To mark the occasion and celebrate the common heritage between Leeds and Sierra Leone, Leeds Industrial Museum will be hosting ‘From the West Riding to West Africa’ over bank holiday weekend 23-25th May.

On Saturday 23.5.15 at 3pm we're holding a 'sistering' of two Leeds-built locomotives Nellie and Aldwyth. The event will feature a performance by Patrice Naiambana as a Sierra Leonean soldier.

With displays, food, music, talks and hands-on activities, Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills is partnering with the National Railway Museum of Sierra Leone and local West African community groups to tell the story of how railway locomotives built in Leeds during and after WW1 changed West Africa forever.

Over the three days we will also tell the stories of the people who came back from West Africa to live in the UK, and how those old locos built here in Leeds will soon help Sierra Leone’s economy recover from the recent crisis and be engines for growth once again.
This event promises to be a rich mix for all ages, with trains, talks, music, food, films and the whole museum to explore. (Face-painting on Sunday only.)

Be a part of this African railway adventure!

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalle ... rica-.aspx
Attachments
WR to WA.jpg
WR to WA.jpg (128.71 KiB) Viewed 11444 times

francof

Re: West Riding to West Africa - Sistering Locomotives 23.5.

Post by francof »

Does anyone apart from a few loyal members visit this site anymore. Sad.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

francof wrote:Does anyone apart from a few loyal members visit this site anymore. Sad.
Around 650 unique visitors yesterday franco, and four active threads that day. Not as lively as it used to be perhaps but still pretty active all the same. Sounds like an interesting event anyway, would have thought it would garnered more responses!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

I, for one, lurk on here a lot, but recent posts I would have liked to submit would have included a photo, but they exceeded 2Mb and were rejected as too big, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!

francof

Post by francof »

Ah yes the nameless, nebulous 650 "unique" visitors. However lets not forget those eternal constant guests, eternally standing guard at the bottom of the page. The mighty Bing[bot]. The awesome Power and the all powerful Global Moderator. Soon to be joined no doubt by Panthro, Tigre and Snurf from the Thundercats.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

This thread is about the link between Sierra Leone and Leeds. As someone who has lived in both places, I am looking forward to visiting the Industrial Museum at Armley Mills this weekend.
Anyone who is interested might like to follow The Sierra Leone National Railway Museum on Twitter. There are some good pictures of Nellie their engine built in Leeds.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@urban rambler

You can resize your pics using a suitable photo editor.

A good simple on is IrfanView available completely free from here. http://www.irfanview.com/

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

francof wrote:Ah yes the nameless, nebulous 650 "unique" visitors. However lets not forget those eternal constant guests, eternally standing guard at the bottom of the page. The mighty Bing[bot]. The awesome Power and the all powerful Global Moderator. Soon to be joined no doubt by Panthro, Tigre and Snurf from the Thundercats.
The search engines are given dummy user accounts so they can access all the site content like a normal human user. There's a payoff between allowing full search visibility and having the user account displayed at the bottom. I can look into amending it if you think it's an issue though?

As for the stats, I can send you the Google Analytics report if you like? I'm not making it up :) The vast majority of visitors to the site do not post messages, as one would expect, but we get quite a lot of traffic simply because of the amount of content held on the site. It is down slightly from previous times, but not by much.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Back on topic, I noticed this story made breakfast news on Sunday morning (national) because I saw it while in Glasgow.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

tyke bhoy wrote:Back on topic, I noticed this story made breakfast news on Sunday morning (national) because I saw it while in Glasgow.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32863498