Where to go...?

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

In a freak set of circumstances, I've got two "new" old former Soviet Union cameras to shoot some test films off in and a couple of hours to myself this coming Saturday morning.I've had a few ideas, but can anyone suggest somewhere I can get a bit of inspiration in or around Leeds? The city centre always has rich pickings, so maybe something different around there?I'm reasonably happy to go for a wander, but I'd like to avoid anywhere I'm likely to get hassle (or worse) from the locals - the cameras aren't worth a lot but they won't know that and I can do without the grief...Any ideas welcome!My flickr photostream here: http://snipurl.com/28wy8w5
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi raveydavey.The inside of the Central Reference Library (including the Tiled Hall) has many excellent features to photograph. It's a popular place to take photos (I've taken many there myself). Sharp close-ups and further out photos will help you work out the quality of the cameras. I bet the "former Soviet Union cameras" take excellent photos but it may perhaps be safest to check them for bugs (of the espionage type)! I used to have a wooden-framed transistor radio made in the USSR that was about the size of a couple of loaves of bread! Not exactly pocket-sized!    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Take that dog with you, you'll be fine.Make a list of multi-storey car parks and visit the top floors for a different view of Leeds. If you have some method of illumination you could photo the Swinegate Goit Bridges (then post 'em on Isle of Cynder thread).We're probably in Leeds Sat'dy, might see you Russian about

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Just a couple of "stab in the dark" ideas raveydavey - the lower end of Kirkgate just north of the railway bridge has some admittedly sad, scandalous even, but interesting echoes of the City's long gone past. On a more optimistic note, the regenerated area of Holbeck Village around Water Lane etc presents a fascinating mix of the new and the old.Give Mr. Putin my regards won't you !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Lots of interesting places outside city centre as well e,g, Adel church and area.i am off to Bardsey tomorrow afternoon to show a group Pompocali but Bardsey itself has some lovely old stuff including the church and Bingley Arms.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Thanks for all the suggestions (and puns....).
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell