Leeds Liverpool Canal - Distance & Height in feet above mean sea level

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Pleasant walk from Rodley Ring Road to Saltaire which felt about 10 miles. The train back to Leeds station was every half hour, quick and £3.50.So all round good connection.This got us thinking about getting the train to Skipton then walking home as far as possible with the get out of a train voucher if we were tired. With longer term plans to walk the entire route one holiday.I have a Geo Projects 'Leeds and Liverpool Canal' fold out map which has the entire route well set out and additional data.The heights above sea level intrigued me (obviously taking Leeds River Lock as eastern point).Hopefully I've copied this in visible form - click on the paperclip for a large format. The graph seems to indicate a total length of about 130 miles.I think the mileposts are set the wrong way round at points on the canal - walking to Saltaire we'd be seeing the 'miles to Liverpool' figures and on looking back those to Leeds. But by Salts Mill and elsewhere they'd put new ones up so we were seeing Leeds mileage outbound and Liverpool figures if we looked back to Leeds direction..?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (0 Bytes) Viewed 15738 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Once got the train and did Shipley to Leeds walking on the canal towpath, my daughter was still young and was in a pushchair, it was a glorious day but by the time we got to Rodley the wife had been stung by a wasp and didn't feel too well so we got the bus back into Leeds. A very enjoyable walk though.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There are some nice walks along the canal up past Skipton towards Gargrave and beyond. We did a nice walk up there a few summers ago.That said, I'm always a bit wary of the 'inner city' sections...This website has some details that might be useful:http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/LLC/walki ... canal.html
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Great minds clearly think alike Jogon! It was just a couple or so days back that I came across a website that had walks that each had a link to Google Street View. One was at the Five Rise Locks and what caught my eye was a distance marker that stated 'LEEDS 16¼ MILES' on one side and 'LPOOL 111 MILES' on the other. In view of the Leeds bit I had thought of mentioning it in SL. The interactive Street View allowed you to move around as usual, but for the life of me I cannot now though find the initial link to the walk and though I can get to the Street View I cannot seem able to save a direct link to it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Thanks for the chart Jogon, I've spent a lot of time on the towpath over the years so find it interesting to see.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Another good canal walk which can be done via train is along the Rochdale canal from Littleborough to Hebden Bridge which passes the 'Summit' at 600 feet being the highest (above ground) point on the UK's canal network. Its quite a long walk at 10 miles but you can get there using a West Yorkshire metro card if you dont mind staying on board the train for an extra stop over the border. There are lots of places to enjoy refreshments along the way. Its then easy to hop back on train to Leeds at Hebden Bridge.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: Great minds clearly think alike Jogon! It was just a couple or so days back that I came across a website that had walks that each had a link to Google Street View. One was at the Five Rise Locks and what caught my eye was a distance marker that stated 'LEEDS 16¼ MILES' on one side and 'LPOOL 111 MILES' on the other. In view of the Leeds bit I had thought of mentioning it in SL. The interactive Street View allowed you to move around as usual, but for the life of me I cannot now though find the initial link to the walk and though I can get to the Street View I cannot seem able to save a direct link to it. That milepost :- http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/milepostd ... ino=116the streetview web thing sounds useful, do post if you find.At risk of mixing threads (wasps) we stopped for a rest at some locks. I think that the wooden beam that you push to open was fairly new. On looking at this I notices at least 17 wasps collecting/chewing wood from it presumably for their nest.    

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Jogon wrote: Pleasant walk from Rodley Ring Road to Saltaire which felt about 10 miles. The train back to Leeds station was every half hour, quick and £3.50.So all round good connection.This got us thinking about getting the train to Skipton then walking home as far as possible with the get out of a train voucher if we were tired. With longer term plans to walk the entire route one holiday........ Your post reminded me that I did this walk , Rodley- Saltaire and back several times when I was breaking in a new pair of leather climbing boots in the mid 60's. These days I would take the train back as you suggest ( old bones !). For variation I sometimes turned off to the right crossing the River Aire by a footbridge and up onto Baildon moor. I also walked and cycled a fair bit of the towpath further towards Skipton.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Thanks BP, it's nice to find a good circuitous route. The train back seemed a bit of a cop out, but we couldn't face same again reversed. Baildon moor would add some altitude and, eventually, a bus home.(ps>non leeds<Over your way we once enjoyed the Mawddach Trail, Barmouth looked a cheery place)