A day out with a 'small' difference?

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 469884They say the best things come in small packages.And if that’s the case, the Leeds Discovery Centre will be the place to be for one day only this month.The centre – home to more than one million fascinating objects – is offering a rare opportunity to tour the facilities and see some of a collection of diminutive artefacts.The Joy of Small Things day, on March 22, is a booking-only event that will showcase the likes of tiny fig wasps, a squid’s eyeball and rusty Roman hobnails.A spokesman said: “Sometimes the coolest things in the collection are the smallest.”Offering state of the art facilities, the centre, on Carlisle Road near the Royal Armouries. is used to preserve Leeds’s museum collections in pristine condition.To book a visit call 0113 378 2100 or email [email protected].
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm surprised this hasn't had any sort of response, given the opportunity to see seldom seen gems from the city museums.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi raveydavey. Until I saw this thread when it started I had never heard of the Leeds Discovery Centre, nor Carlisle Road, but assumed I may have been the only one, or one of a very few, on SL that had not! Shame it is a pre-booking event and not one that I could simply pop into during opening hours on the day when it would be more convenient for me to do so.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The centre can be visited by appointment. It does seem to be a storage 'home' for many items, past exhibits, items not necessarily deemed fit for general display, due to damage for example, and many items which they have been unable to identify adequately. A veritable treasure trove.