West Indian Carnival

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The YEP recently reported:-..."This year’s Leeds Carnival, held in Chapeltown, will be the 46th celebration of its kind held in the city.Leeds Carnival founder and chairman Arthur France MBE said: “Leeds West Indian Carnival has brightened up the cultural landscape of the city of Leeds for 46 years. We want to make sure that our city has a legacy of carnival arts for generations to come and will be sharing the art of costume making with as many people as possible this year.”...http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 56Comments included one suggesting you throw out preconceptions and go to something safe, fun and free.But is it "Free"? Or free to user, attendee, paid for by ?Has anyone been to this, and / or know how it is funded? I'm assuming Arts Council (central Tax) and Leeds City Council grant funding (Council Tax).I wonder in terms of open government how much this costs Leeds CC each year and can we afford it?How much over 10 years to date.How much over the 46 years ?Anyone help here?    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Isn't it sponsored by local firms?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I dont understand what you're getting at Jogon? You could say anything like this from local carnivals / gala's to football matches / cricket etc all cost Leeds City Council money. I think the Chapeltown Carnival is a great success every year and something that people who live in that area greatly look forward to - well a lot of them anyway. I've been to the West Indian carnival a few times and always found it to be a really good atmosphere with loads of stuff to see and hear. I think its a bit daft that so many people get intimidated about it been in Chapeltown. I've walked around there at all times of day and night and never had any bother. Clearly if you're gonna go walking around a deprived area of Leeds flashing your top of the range Iphone etc around you sholdnt be surprised when it gets lifted. A certain amount of common sense is required, but I dont think thats a problem that Chapeltown alone suffers. I dont know if I'll be going this year cos I might be doing something else, but I'm sure I'll go again at some point in the future. If you've never been its well worth checking out.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jonleeds hi"I dont understand what you're getting at Jogon?.."Sorry, I thought the post was clear enough What I'm getting at is this:-In relation to West Indian CarnivalHow much this costs Leeds CC each year and can we afford it?How much over 10 years to date.How much over the 46 years ?Never been, no views either way. John/anyone, how much do you think would be a reasonable sum for this annual event? £2,4,6,8,10, £20K plus local sponsorship?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

sorry Jogon, your question was clear enough only I started reading the YEP article and the comments left there and tried talking about it all.. Who knows what stuff like this should reasonably cost, usually the figures quoted for any public event paid for by the council are mind-boggling. Put it this way LCC could be given £20 million pounds from some European funding pot and out of that residents of a certain area of Leeds would have to think themselves lucky to have had a new toilet roll holder installed by the council. If that makes any sense? I dont know I'm cynical about all this stuff anyway, but I'd rather see millions spent on a community carnival over 40 odd years than the same amount spent on 'consultation' for a non-existent tram.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jim

Post by jim »

I seem to remember various other Leeds area Carnivals, most of which have fallen by the wayside as they take tremendous effort by local groups to organise, fund, and run. Sadly such local groups are in short supply, as are local businesses prepared to assist with funding, provision of marquees, lorries etc. Bramley seems to still have an on/off Carnival, with some missing years.Arthur France and the rest of the Chapeltown team are to be congratulated in maintaining enthusiasm for their annual event, and for continually overcoming the problems and pitfalls in their way - some of which include tighter and tighter regulation by various authorities. It is free, fun, and very good natured.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jim wrote: I seem to remember various other Leeds area Carnivals, most of which have fallen by the wayside as they take tremendous effort by local groups to organise, fund, and run. Sadly such local groups are in short supply, as are local businesses prepared to assist with funding, provision of marquees, lorries etc. Bramley seems to still have an on/off Carnival, with some missing years.Arthur France and the rest of the Chapeltown team are to be congratulated in maintaining enthusiasm for their annual event, and for continually overcoming the problems and pitfalls in their way - some of which include tighter and tighter regulation by various authorities. It is free, fun, and very good natured. Hello JimValid point at 1st para namely that there used to be many Feasts and Fetes and a pretty good Armed Forces day at Roundhay Park etc.But all have ended. I don't doubt the Chapeltown Carnival team do a good job and have a lot to do. But that's not the point of this thread. Not carnival good/bad or otherwise really. I've no view and never been.My query is whether Chapeltown is self-funding, sponsored by business or paid for by Council Tax, and if so how much.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Chrism wrote: Isn't it sponsored by local firms? 2012/13£154,000 by Leeds City Council ie Council Tax (excluding Policing costs).In the ten years 2003/04 up to 2012/13 that's £1,173,000 (average £117,000 pa)Supposed to attract 100,000 people who could surely afford £1.54 a head.new website on the cardshttp://www.leedscarnival.co.uk/        

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Or you could hope they spend £5 each (hard not to) and bring £500k into the local economy.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Indeed - nicely put Anthony. And you're not wrong, you ain't getting curry goat for less than a fiver at Carnival that's for sure!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.