Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

book wrote: I'll keep my eye out for you at the tail end chameleon, will you have the Secret Leeds jersey on? Is there going to be one!If not, this one is the next best thing!!!http://www.halfbb.com/product/yorkshire ... -jersey/As a former cyclo-cross/road & MTB racer, I too am counting the days alreadyI've seen the 'Tour of Britain' & the 'Leeds Classic' go over HolmeMoss in the past, & crikey!!, the speed the breakways go on there is phenomenal!!    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

book wrote: I'll keep my eye out for you at the tail end chameleon, will you have the Secret Leeds jersey on? Chameleon hopes his colour-changing mechanism gets stuck on yellow

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Yorkshire seems to be getting a better deal out of France and Europe than it ever has done out of Westminster.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It just momentarilly felt strange seeing the French flag flying on the Town Hall when I was walking on Calverley Street today (on the pavement, not the road!). From my viewpoint at the library entrance only that flag could be seen.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not long nowhttp://road.cc/content/news/84330-bernard-hinault-touched-leeds-passion-tour-de-franceBelleville Rendevous

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Has anyone volunteered to be route marshalls etc? I filled in my application about a month ago to meet the deadline but I've heard nothing back since yet they said that health and safety training would be around the end of March / start of April.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've recently noticed 6 yellow bicycles on Scott Hall Road that are presumably to do with the Tour de France, as that will go up Scott Hall Road. One cycle is near the junction with Buslingthorpe Lane, one at Potternewton Lane, one at Stainbeck Lane, one at Stainbeck Road, one at King Lane and the other is at the junction with Street Lane. I've only seen the cycles when passing by on a bus so I don't know if they are operational but they are chained to help prevent them being readily stolen. Those at Stainbeck Lane and King Lane appear to be child size.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I don't want to appear to be a naysayer, but I'm starting to have doubts about the whole TDF experience we've been sold.Pre-TDF events seem to suffer from very patchy publicity - some getting repeated mentions in the local media and others we only seem to find out about after they've happened. The main Welcome to Yorkshire TDF website seems very hit and miss too.Then there is the issue of the Grand Depart (adopt BBC cod french pronunciation) and the two Yorkshire stages - what was initially sold as "you'll be able to watch from the side of the road all over Yorkshire" now seems to be a logistical nightmare. Again, details are still less than perfect, but the gist seems to be that unless you're prepared to use Park and Ride to attend one of the 'staged' viewing areas, it seems that you'll be up against a maze of closed roads and traffic restrictions meaning that instead of seeing the race in several different locations you'll have to select one place and camp out for the day.This just doesn't happen in France - road races there have a "bubble" around them where roads are closed for the absolute minimum of time as the race passes through that section, but here I already know of people who'll effectively be trapped in their homes for ten or more hours.Or is there more information out there that I can't find?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The closures schedule is the bubble that you describe with total closure bring approx three hours along the route. I'm guessing that start and finish sites will be all day and the rest. The estimate is that the race will bring 2 million people to the region. If we pull it off that will be quite impressive.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: The closures schedule is the bubble that you describe with total closure bring approx three hours along the route. I'm guessing that start and finish sites will be all day and the rest. The estimate is that the race will bring 2 million people to the region. If we pull it off that will be quite impressive. A work colleague lives yards from the route through Calderdale (Day / Stage 2) and has been told to expect the road to be closed for "at least 8 hours". An inconvenience under normal circumstances perhaps, but his wife is due to have their second child 3 days later so it could be quite an interesting day for them as there is no alternative way in or out of their estate.Then there is this from the railway companies: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6625781
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell