Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
MWD

Post by MWD »

An interesting pair of routes, and not an inch cycled on public footpaths............

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

MWD wrote: An interesting pair of routes, and not an inch cycled on public footpaths............ ...I bet they won't be stopping at traffic lights though...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

MWD

Post by MWD »

raveydavey wrote: MWD wrote: An interesting pair of routes, and not an inch cycled on public footpaths............ ...I bet they won't be stopping at traffic lights though... .......and not a single one of them will have a bell or reflector on their bike

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

uncle mick wrote: book wrote: Can anyone tell me what distance each stage is? ..................Stage 1: 128 miles. Stage 2: 103 miles.Take your pick Edit: Perhaps our cycling correspondent Jogon would like to cycle the routes & confirm which is correct Uncle M - It is good news for the regionBut 100+ miles...that's far too far! I get tired Leeds>Lawnswood.Suggest, say, two weeks with a day on/day off in between.-----------ps - this is of course a road race but to clarify"Footway" = pavement at the road side = don't cycle."Public Footpath" = located away from carriageway = ok to cycle.Footpaths’ are not the same as ‘footways’ (pavements) their legal status differs too:1. A FOOTPATH is located AWAY from the carriageway, whereas a FOOTWAY runs alongside(path at side of road- eg Headingley).2. Cycling on a FOOTWAY(path at side of road) is a criminal offence (but Dept for Transport view is that Police discretion should be shown to minors and in circumstances for those whom cycling on the road would not be a safe option).3. By contrast, cycling on a FOOTPATH normally constitutes only a trespass against the landowner. If they prove they ARE the owner and ask you to leave, leave. It's a civil and NOT a criminal matter, i.e. neither the police nor a PCSO can take ANY enforcement action.If someone suggested you were "breaking the law", or intended to do so, they are wrong & it's defamatory.Instead, an aggrieved landowner can either ask a cyclist who isriding on a footpath over their land to leave, or they can go to court to seek an injunction and/or damages - (cost guess-timate £8,000) - this just doesn't happen.4. A bye-law 'could' make it illegal to cycle on a footpath5. DfT confirm “...that a cyclist pushing a bicycle on a pedestrian facility is regarded as a pedestrian.."

MWD

Post by MWD »

Jogon wrote: uncle mick wrote: book wrote: Can anyone tell me what distance each stage is? ..................Stage 1: 128 miles. Stage 2: 103 miles.Take your pick Edit: Perhaps our cycling correspondent Jogon would like to cycle the routes & confirm which is correct Uncle M - It is good news for the regionBut 100+ miles...that's far too far! I get tired Leeds>Lawnswood.Suggest, say, two weeks with a day on/day off in between.-----------ps - this is of course a road race but to clarify"Footway" = pavement at the road side = don't cycle."Public Footpath" = located away from carriageway = ok to cycle.Footpaths’ are not the same as ‘footways’ (pavements) their legal status differs too:1. A FOOTPATH is located AWAY from the carriageway, whereas a FOOTWAY runs alongside(path at side of road- eg Headingley).2. Cycling on a FOOTWAY(path at side of road) is a criminal offence (but Dept for Transport view is that Police discretion should be shown to minors and in circumstances for those whom cycling on the road would not be a safe option).3. By contrast, cycling on a FOOTPATH normally constitutes only a trespass against the landowner. If they prove they ARE the owner and ask you to leave, leave. It's a civil and NOT a criminal matter, i.e. neither the police nor a PCSO can take ANY enforcement action.If someone suggested you were "breaking the law", or intended to do so, they are wrong & it's defamatory.Instead, an aggrieved landowner can either ask a cyclist who isriding on a footpath over their land to leave, or they can go to court to seek an injunction and/or damages - (cost guess-timate £8,000) - this just doesn't happen.4. A bye-law 'could' make it illegal to cycle on a footpath5. DfT confirm “...that a cyclist pushing a bicycle on a pedestrian facility is regarded as a pedestrian.." The unedited document can be read here.....http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/publi ... pdfCutting and pasting is a useful, and misleading tool.I would suggest leaving out sections that do not suit your agenda is pretty bad practice.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This thread is about the Tour coming to Leeds. Please do not let it become a discussion on unrelated matters - we do not want to create scope for a repeat of recenet events.We'll take it the posts above have been made by way of information for some reason, please let's leave it there.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

This is genuine good news for Leeds. Cant wait.

book

Post by book »

It's probably worth planning viewing points early because parking will be at a premium and some of the places on the route will not be served very well by public transport
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

anthonydna wrote: This is genuine good news for Leeds. Cant wait. As a former avid racing and pleasure cyclist, this will be a treat to see, just having problem reconciling Tour de France being in Leeds.'Spose there'll be an EU directive for it somewhere     

book

Post by book »

I'll keep my eye out for you at the tail end chameleon, will you have the Secret Leeds jersey on?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad