Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
hyperion
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sat 07 Dec, 2013 3:58 pm

Postby hyperion » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 12:39 am

french gendarmerie Thats french national security
Attachments
P1010738.jpg
P1010738.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 846 times
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing
User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 4199
JoinedCOLON Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 12:47 am

hyperion wrote:
french gendarmerie Thats french national security


I take it you dont like the French?

Whereabouts is that taken, doesnt look like Leeds
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com
anthonydna
PostsCOLON 392
JoinedCOLON Mon 26 Feb, 2007 6:02 pm

Postby anthonydna » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 1:06 am

Must be fun in your house Hyperion....
Cardiarms
PostsCOLON 2986
JoinedCOLON Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:30 am

Postby Cardiarms » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 10:16 am

Had a laugh when we saw the French police motor bikes, wondered if it was the sMe cop who got me for speeding in France.

Cardiarms
PostsCOLON 2986
JoinedCOLON Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:30 am

Postby Cardiarms » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 10:20 am

hyperion wrote:
The point i was making and i'm from the tommy simpson era when the tour de france had little coverage in england . This is a media circus for the masses,and nothing to do with a cycle race.
The tour de france is run by Amaury sport organisation and they control every aspect of the race,from live tv feed to race security, they move into our or any country who pay them x million pounds GBP park anywhere they wish get the city shutdown and where happy with that.in summary there like a flock of pigeons fly in s**t on everyone and fly out again.As for the rest of the world i think there probably to busy staving to death or getting murdered to care what happens in this great city.


It's so unpopular in France that each year local authorities lobby to put on a stage in their town and it keeps on happening every year.
stutterdog
PostsCOLON 859
JoinedCOLON Mon 15 Jun, 2009 4:46 pm

Postby stutterdog » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 10:59 am

cnosni wrote:
hyperion wrote:
The point i was making and i'm from the tommy simpson era when the tour de france had little coverage in england . This is a media circus for the masses,and nothing to do with a cycle race.
The tour de france is run by Amaury sport organisation and they control every aspect of the race,from live tv feed to race security, they move into our or any country who pay them x million pounds GBP park anywhere they wish get the city shutdown and where happy with that.in summary there like a flock of pigeons fly in s**t on everyone and fly out again.As for the rest of the world i think there probably to busy staving to death or getting murdered to care what happens in this great city.


Yep im happy to shut the city down for this, and i havent heard anyone but yourself complain about it.

And if they are starving to death or being murdered then you are right, no matter where you live you wouldnt be bothered about the tour being in Leeds, you would be more bothered about getting something to eat or stop being murdered.

But thats the point, most people arent starving or being murdered, we are living normal lives most of the time.

It may be a media circus for the masses, but the masses turned out "en masse" and im sure that they were all pretty much well educated and intelligent enough to realise this was a good thing for the city and Yorkshire.


It doesnt really matter who controls the tv coverage, its not like its anything political, after all its Brazilian TV who are not only recording and broadcasting the world cup but who are also editing what is broadcast for tv companies around the world.

and what is the problem with French TV, if the French invented "Le Tour" in the first place when Tommy Simpson was cycling then they cant be all that bad, its not as if its North Korean State TV who are flying the helicopter and beaming pictures of their glorious new tractor factories around the world (nod to Airplane)

Tommy Simpson died 47 years ago, times have changed. - See more at: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=4522&StartAtMessage=100&#107439

While I completely agree with you in your comment , Le Tour did have an adverse effects on certain shops in Leeds yesterday. My Grandaughter works at a fashion store in Briggate on Saturdays and although Leeds and Briggate was packed with people. She told me that the shop had a poor trading day as most people were sat in Briggate watching the big screens. The cafes and snackbars probably did better!So not everyone benefitted.
ex-Armley lad
hyperion
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sat 07 Dec, 2013 3:58 pm

Postby hyperion » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 12:00 pm

Oh dear i seemed to ruffled a few feathers by not making myself clear. Firstly i don't dislike anybody and its not political in anyway.Just suppose the whole of Yorkshire said sorry we are all going on holiday on the 5 of july. The tour would still go ahead because its a french race run by a french Organisation,with french officials, filmed by a french t.v company for french people in France.And probably shown on t.v in a hour long slot for the Yorkshire stages .I don't have a problem Gary and his team and there hard work and if he gets some kind of honour that's also fine by me just speculating what kind .

To anthonydna
I think my house is probably just like any other household sometimes concerns over money,elderly parents/kids health ect.But sometimes fun and jokes (have you the one about the lady who go's into a chemists and ask's for hair removal cream it involves a bicycle so it's relevant to this thread.

to cnosni
the picture was taken very much in leeds,very much so that i think ill make it the subject of quiz,but i think sl member jog-on will get it easily as i think it's one of his favourite parts of leeds
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing
Loiner1960
PostsCOLON 181
JoinedCOLON Fri 28 Aug, 2009 3:42 pm

Postby Loiner1960 » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm

Right, wasn't interested in cycling. Thought if it went well, which seems to have happened, that it gives Leeds and some of Yorkshire publicity.

Now, here would be a brilliant idea.

Bung Ecclestone some cash. F1 for Leeds.

Loads of street circuits.. Monaco, Singapore, Macau..

: )

User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 4199
JoinedCOLON Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 1:21 pm

Loiner1960 wrote:
Right, wasn't interested in cycling. Thought if it went well, which seems to have happened, that it gives Leeds and some of Yorkshire publicity.

Now, here would be a brilliant idea.

Bung Ecclestone some cash. F1 for Leeds.

Loads of street circuits.. Monaco, Singapore, Macau..

: )


amd why not
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com
User avatar
BarFly
PostsCOLON 524
JoinedCOLON Sun 06 Nov, 2011 3:39 pm
LocationCOLON In t' pub in Leeds (see picture).

Postby BarFly » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 6:36 pm

hyperion wrote:
Oh dear i seemed to ruffled a few feathers by not making myself clear. Firstly i don't dislike anybody and its not political in anyway.Just suppose the whole of Yorkshire said sorry we are all going on holiday on the 5 of july. The tour would still go ahead because its a french race run by a french Organisation,with french officials, filmed by a french t.v company for french people in France.And probably shown on t.v in a hour long slot for the Yorkshire stages .I don't have a problem Gary and his team and there hard work and if he gets some kind of honour that's also fine by me just speculating what kind .
I have been reading this thread with interest and while I don't think le Tour was a bad thing for Lees I also don't think it was that big of a deal or particularly good for the region either for some of the reasons stated. I can't see tourism being that boosted even if our scenery looked good and it has basically been having an events organisation taking over our cities for a few days. I would, as has been pointed out, only be certain businesses who have benefited and I ma sure many will have been affected from those having more problems getting home on Friday night to those who did want to be somewhere they couldn't be on the weekend.

So, in short, I don't think there's anything wrong or unpatriotic pointing out problems caused by an organisation taking over our roads even if there were a benefit also.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests