Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Something I've learnt about the TDF is that the 'Yellow Jersey' worn by the leader is not what I would call a jersey. I don't know if there is a specific clothing name for it but is put on by putting hands through the sleeves and then the back, which was open, is either zipped, velcroded or buttoned closed.Superb scenes and scenery again today and amazing crowds. Great views at Kex Gill.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Leodian wrote: Something I've learnt about the TDF is that the 'Yellow Jersey' worn by the leader is not what I would call a jersey. I don't know if there is a specific clothing name for it but is put on by putting hands through the sleeves and then the back, which was open, is either zipped, velcroded or buttoned closed.Superb scenes and scenery again today and amazing crowds. Great views at Kex Gill. Sort of a wrong way round "cardie" eh, Leo?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's an apt description Johnny39.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Loved all of it (-:I was at Harewood for the 2nd start, not at the house itself as that was too busy but a bit along the route at a nice quiet slow spot to catch them.Once passed it was off to Harrogate via the closed A61 on my bicycle where literally 1000s of cyclists of all abilities on all types of bikes zipped along cheering and waving as we went.I have to say I was quite impressed with Harrogate, really seemed to get behind the tour. I wasn't as impressed that 'le tour organisers' hid their big screen inside a Guantanamo Bay style camp, not everyone wants that and the empty 'The Stray' park next to it was prime for another screen but it wasnt to be....I didnt actually wait for the finish, I just soaked up the atmosphere for a little while then headed off to catch the rest of the race on a screen I could see!Also, coming back into Leeds along a deserted Scott Hall Road a private taxi still managed to pull out in front of me - even when I am literally the only person in the road apparently taxis drivers are still inconsiderate cockwombles.A fantastic event, a something to build on! 10/10

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

"cockwombles" made me WiggyDiggy. It's a new expression to me.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I bet he was Madame Soufflé's favourite.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

anthonydna wrote: I bet he was Madame Soufflé's favourite. Going very OT for Leeds and being pedantic it was Madame Cholet http://wombles.wikia.com/wiki/Madame_Cholet
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

raveydavey wrote: I'm sure that in months and years to come, people will generally look back on the Tdf's visit to Yorkshire as a great weekend and a good thing.The passage of time will allow us to forget about the council hangers on, the traffic chaos, the incompetence in getting the roads re-opened and the choice of route out of Leeds city centre (which the wider audience will know or care little about) and remember the fantastic racing, the beautiful weather and the amazing scenery that Gods Own County has to offer and the spectacle we gave the world - who will hopefully now want to visit us.I doubt that Yorkshire has ever looked better on the telly.For those who've mocked the coverage, the whole two days has been carried live on ITV4 in HD (much of day one was simultaneously shown on ITV1 in HD as well). The commentators were not only experts from the cycling world, but had clearly put a lot of time into their research of the places the race passed through and apart from the odd mispronunciation did a great job of providing over 5 hours live commentary each day. ITV4 also has ongoing live coverage of the whole race with a highlights show every evening for those of us who will be at work during the day.The only fly in the ointment was watching todays Stage 2, and being surprised that a more photogenic route hadn't been chosen into Sheffield. A route past scrapyards, waste land and semi-derelict factories seemed at odds with the care that had clearly gone into planning what had gone before. Then I realised that actually was the most picturesque route into Yorkshires least favourite city...      Totally agree with your comment! Did I read somewhere some months back that London was trying to hi-jack Le Tour after all the effort that people in Yorkshire had put in to bring it here? I can't remember what the details were at the time but I believe there were some sour grapes at Yorkshires success at being awarded the Le Grande Departe! I hope it rains on their parade today!But whatever happens I don't think they'll beat the turnout that was attained here in Yorkshire over the past 2 days!
ex-Armley lad

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

tyke bhoy wrote: anthonydna wrote: I bet he was Madame Soufflé's favourite. Going very OT for Leeds and being pedantic it was Madame Cholet http://wombles.wikia.com/wiki/Madame_Cholet You got me there !

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

stutterdog wrote: raveydavey wrote: I'm sure that in months and years to come, people will generally look back on the Tdf's visit to Yorkshire as a great weekend and a good thing.The passage of time will allow us to forget about the council hangers on, the traffic chaos, the incompetence in getting the roads re-opened and the choice of route out of Leeds city centre (which the wider audience will know or care little about) and remember the fantastic racing, the beautiful weather and the amazing scenery that Gods Own County has to offer and the spectacle we gave the world - who will hopefully now want to visit us.I doubt that Yorkshire has ever looked better on the telly.For those who've mocked the coverage, the whole two days has been carried live on ITV4 in HD (much of day one was simultaneously shown on ITV1 in HD as well). The commentators were not only experts from the cycling world, but had clearly put a lot of time into their research of the places the race passed through and apart from the odd mispronunciation did a great job of providing over 5 hours live commentary each day. ITV4 also has ongoing live coverage of the whole race with a highlights show every evening for those of us who will be at work during the day.The only fly in the ointment was watching todays Stage 2, and being surprised that a more photogenic route hadn't been chosen into Sheffield. A route past scrapyards, waste land and semi-derelict factories seemed at odds with the care that had clearly gone into planning what had gone before. Then I realised that actually was the most picturesque route into Yorkshires least favourite city...      Totally agree with your comment! Did I read somewhere some months back that London was trying to hi-jack Le Tour after all the effort that people in Yorkshire had put in to bring it here? I can't remember what the details were at the time but I believe there were some sour grapes at Yorkshires success at being awarded the Le Grande Departe! I hope it rains on their parade today!But whatever happens I don't think they'll beat the turnout that was attained here in Yorkshire over the past 2 days! You're right - and one thing that did vex me was that jowl faced posh boy David "Dave" Cameron lapping up a freebie in at the finish in Harrogate on Day 1 and tweeting what a great job Yorkshire had done.Clearly his selective memory had deleted any recollection of his governments support for a bid from Edinburgh over us and the threat that we'd get no money from Whitehall when we'd won the bid:"It's interesting that David Cameron's coming up for the Tour, when he supported the Scottish [Edinburgh] bid," said Dee Marshall, head of communications at Welcome to Yorkshire. "He's never supported the Yorkshire bid and has not given us one pennyworth towards any of the marketing of Yorkshire or the events around it."http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... -yorkshire    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell