Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
book

Post by book »

Anyone heard of the route for the Yorks leg of the Tour de France 2014? I've heard Otley might be a place it passes through. It should be great for Leeds and surrounding Towns.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Copied from the BBCFull details of the route will be announced at a news conference in Leeds and Paris on 17 January.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I have to admit this is a tremendous coup for the city as well as the wider county of Yorkshire (please don't call it a 'region') - it's just a shame that the "Grand Departe" is still over two years away.Most of the details are yet to be announced, although the Tour heads through Yorkshire on 5 and 6 July 2014 - days I already plan to book off work and get out along the route with my camera.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Hello bookAs a nipper I'm sure I recall 'The Milk Race' a sort of British Tour de Britain, but without the French.Suggest Sir Bradley and Milk Marketing board reinstate.The thought of all those Carltons, BSA's and Raleighs, with gear change on yer down tube (or worse still, and the end of your handlebars).

edlong

Post by edlong »

If they're in Leeds, they really should come through Morley to pay tribute to Beryl Burton. Hopefully they'll ride up Churwell Hill and then I can say I commute on the Tour de France route....

simong

Post by simong »

edlong wrote: If they're in Leeds, they really should come through Morley to pay tribute to Beryl Burton. Hopefully they'll ride up Churwell Hill and then I can say I commute on the Tour de France route.... It's more likely to be out along the A65 and up to the Dales although it would be nice to pay tribute to Leeds and Yorkshire's cycling heritage.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Day one is already penciled in as Leeds to Scarborough (via Whitby?), so the route will be northwards.Day two is set to see the race start in York and then arc through the West Riding (Otley for Lizzie?) before heading south to Sheffield.Full details to be announced in a fortnight.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Now Welcome to Yorkshire are now looking for "Le Tour Makers" to assist with the event.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... 1Thousands of volunteers are being recruited to help out on the Yorkshire leg of the Tour de France in 2014.Tourist authority Welcome to Yorkshire (WtY) said the idea was based on the 70,000 "Games Makers" who helped run the London Olympics.WtY chief executive Gary Verity said that 2,500 people had already volunteered via their website.Leeds will host the start of the race, the Grand Départ, on 5 July 2014. The event will spend two days in Yorkshire.Mr Verity said he hoped the volunteers, called Le Tour Makers, would line the route as the race made its way through Yorkshire.He added: "We need several thousand marshals to help the Grand Départ go smoothly and welcome the millions of visitors who will come to Yorkshire."WtY claimed the event would be worth well over £100m to the Yorkshire economy.

book

Post by book »

This is fantastic news, really looking forward to it and will certainly be taking some time off work to watch, hopefully in Otley or the Dales. I'm sure the people of Yorkshire will do the event very proud. Now where are those bicycle clips...
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

La Nuit du Tour We would like to invite you to a spectacular, free event outside Leeds Town Hall on Thursday 17th January from 6pm - 7pm.This is going to be a historic event when we welcome to world’s press and famous faces from across Yorkshire and beyond to celebrate the news that our bid to bring the Tour de France to Yorkshire has been successful. Leeds will be the host city to the Grand Départ of the Tour de France in 2014, with two days of racing around the county.This is the first step on a historic journey to stage the biggest annual sporting event in the world to Yorkshire.So join us from 6pm until 7pm outside the Leeds Town Hall for the announcement of the route for the Grand Départ 2014 in Yorkshire and an amazing show featuring entertainment and fireworks. Spread the word amongst your friends and family and bring them along. Make sure you arrive early to get a good spot.In the meantime show your support and keep up with developments by following Le Tour Yorkshire on Twitter @letouryorkshire and on Facebook, facebook.com/letouryorkshire We look forward to seeing you next Thursday and thanks again for your support.Gary VerityChief Executive, Welcome to Yorkshire