Spice World Exhibition

Your favourite days out round Leeds
keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Having half an hour to spare in Leeds today I called in to the Leeds City Museum to see the Spice World exhibition.What a waste of half an hour. . .such an idiotic and depressing display.Ok. . there was the boots and dresses worn by the spice girls and I didnt know what to think as I stared at Sporty Spices mucky plimsoles.The rest was just tat. . .plastic pencil cases. . .beanie hats ,hoodie tops (these were the collectors own pieces not the Spice Girls). . mugs (me?). . Cd's. . posters. . .crisp packets with Spice Girls on them. . as well as cereal bowls. . .cans of pop. . hair bands. . . . books. . slippers. . bags. . .the list is endless.All mind numbing stuff. I know one of the Spice Girls is a Leeds Lass but should this stuff be in a museum?I changed direction and went looking for the Bengal tiger but couldnt find him.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

The Bengal Tiger is in the basement (if you've entered through the main entrance up the steps) or on ground level (if you've entered via the cafe), just to the right of the entrance into the circular hall with the wildlife exhibits.

tilly

Post by tilly »

keyholekate wrote: Having half an hour to spare in Leeds today I called in to the Leeds City Museum to see the Spice World exhibition.What a waste of half an hour. . .such an idiotic and depressing display.Ok. . there was the boots and dresses worn by the spice girls and I didnt know what to think as I stared at Sporty Spices mucky plimsoles.The rest was just tat. . .plastic pencil cases. . .beanie hats ,hoodie tops (these were the collectors own pieces not the Spice Girls). . mugs (me?). . Cd's. . posters. . .crisp packets with Spice Girls on them. . as well as cereal bowls. . .cans of pop. . hair bands. . . . books. . slippers. . bags. . .the list is endless.All mind numbing stuff. I know one of the Spice Girls is a Leeds Lass but should this stuff be in a museum?I changed direction and went looking for the Bengal tiger but couldnt find him. Hi keyholekate When i went to the Museum the Bengal tiger was on the right of the main entrance minus the note telling you it was a man eater and had killed a number of people before it was shot.Of course in this day and age its not the done thing to go into such details it might damage our childrens minds. lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

tilly wrote: keyholekate wrote: Having half an hour to spare in Leeds today I called in to the Leeds City Museum to see the Spice World exhibition.What a waste of half an hour. . .such an idiotic and depressing display.Ok. . there was the boots and dresses worn by the spice girls and I didnt know what to think as I stared at Sporty Spices mucky plimsoles.The rest was just tat. . .plastic pencil cases. . .beanie hats ,hoodie tops (these were the collectors own pieces not the Spice Girls). . mugs (me?). . Cd's. . posters. . .crisp packets with Spice Girls on them. . as well as cereal bowls. . .cans of pop. . hair bands. . . . books. . slippers. . bags. . .the list is endless.All mind numbing stuff. I know one of the Spice Girls is a Leeds Lass but should this stuff be in a museum?I changed direction and went looking for the Bengal tiger but couldnt find him. Hi keyholekate When i went to the Museum the Bengal tiger was on the right of the main entrance minus the note telling you it was a man eater and had killed a number of people before it was shot.Of course in this day and age its not the done thing to go into such details it might damage our childrens minds. lol Yes, I remember that notice from the old museum (it thrilled me as a child!), and was sorry to see that it was much more "politically correct" when the new museum opened. I used to look at it very closely for the bullet hole, without success!

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

PS: I guess we're not going that much off-topic - Scary Spice always liked to wear leopard print