Not strictly about Leeds (except that Leeds is in West Yorkshire)

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Si

Post by Si »

Leodian wrote: This is not directly about the names in question but it is related. Airedale, Swaledale, Wharfedale, Nidderdale etc are named after their river so why is Wensleydale named after the village of Wensley? Not sure, Leodian. It's not as if Wensley is the biggest village in the dale either. Maybe Leyburndale doesn't have the same ring about it!I'm not sure, but I think Wensleydale was once known as Yoredale, Yore presumably being an earlier version of Ure (the name of the river which flows through Wensleydale.)Yes, I've heard Cleckhuddersfax before. Isn't there a similar word using Heckmondwike and Liversedge?

liits

Post by liits »

"Cleckhuddersfax", that made me chuckle!    

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Si wrote: Leodian wrote: This is not directly about the names in question but it is related. Airedale, Swaledale, Wharfedale, Nidderdale etc are named after their river so why is Wensleydale named after the village of Wensley? Not sure, Leodian. It's not as if Wensley is the biggest village in the dale either. Maybe Leyburndale doesn't have the same ring about it!I'm not sure, but I think Wensleydale was once known as Yoredale, Yore presumably being an earlier version of Ure (the name of the river which flows through Wensleydale.) Does that make it a marketing ploy/invention for the cheese that stuck.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

tyke bhoy wrote: Si wrote: Leodian wrote: This is not directly about the names in question but it is related. Airedale, Swaledale, Wharfedale, Nidderdale etc are named after their river so why is Wensleydale named after the village of Wensley? Not sure, Leodian. It's not as if Wensley is the biggest village in the dale either. Maybe Leyburndale doesn't have the same ring about it!I'm not sure, but I think Wensleydale was once known as Yoredale, Yore presumably being an earlier version of Ure (the name of the river which flows through Wensleydale.) Does that make it a marketing ploy/invention for the cheese that stuck. No, 'cause then it would be Wallaceandgromitdale!AFAIK, cheese isn't even made in Wensley, the main factory being in Hawes/Gayle at t'other end o't'dale.    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Leodian wrote: This is not directly about the names in question but it is related. Airedale, Swaledale, Wharfedale, Nidderdale etc are named after their river so why is Wensleydale named after the village of Wensley? Not sure, Leodian. It's not as if Wensley is the biggest village in the dale either. Maybe Leyburndale doesn't have the same ring about it!I'm not sure, but I think Wensleydale was once known as Yoredale, Yore presumably being an earlier version of Ure (the name of the river which flows through Wensleydale.)Yes, I've heard Cleckhuddersfax before. Isn't there a similar word using Heckmondwike and Liversedge? Cleckheckmondsedge. Before 1974, there was a borough called Spenborough, which included Liversedge, Birkenshaw, Cleckheaton and Gomersal. I always jokingly used the term for Spenborough although it didn't include Heckmondwike. I was born in Morley, but the registration district on my birth certifcate is "Spen Valley" TBH I've never seen the River Spen and don't really know where it flows. The "Spen Valley Greenway" though is fun to cycle on.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Si wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Does that make it a marketing ploy/invention for the cheese that stuck. No, 'cause then it would be Wallaceandgromitdale!AFAIK, cheese isn't even made in Wensley, the main factory being in Hawes/Gayle at t'other end o't'dale.     The creamery is indeed now at or near Hawes I was just wondering if in the days when it was being produced at several local creameries/farms and they started thinking of marketing it further afield whether yorkshire cheese and yordale cheese were discounted and Wensleydale was created as the name of the cheese and because of the success of the cheese the dale took on the new name wether deliberately or as part of custom and practice.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: Si wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Does that make it a marketing ploy/invention for the cheese that stuck. No, 'cause then it would be Wallaceandgromitdale!AFAIK, cheese isn't even made in Wensley, the main factory being in Hawes/Gayle at t'other end o't'dale.     The creamery is indeed now at or near Hawes I was just wondering if in the days when it was being produced at several local creameries/farms and they started thinking of marketing it further afield whether yorkshire cheese and yordale cheese were discounted and Wensleydale was created as the name of the cheese and because of the success of the cheese the dale took on the new name wether deliberately or as part of custom and practice. According to Wikipedia, Wensleydale cheese was first made from sheeps milk by Cistercian monks at Jervaulx Abbey. They then changed to cows milk and the Wensleydale cheese as we know it today was born. After the disilution of the Monasteries the cheese continued to be made by local farmers.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

jim

Post by jim »

Really enjoyed the disillusion!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

jim wrote: Really enjoyed the disillusion! whoops
Industria Omnia Vincit