'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

RSPB don't like to mention predation by successful birds of prey.Nor do bunny huggers like 'Odd Billy' & RSPPCA care to mention that Foxes killed the entire first UK introduction of Bustards.Sad.But true.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

cnosni wrote: Greta Bustards I'm sure she used to run a chip 'oil in Woodhouse.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon wrote: steviefTechnically not twitching but hopefully see att'd. Roe buck. 6 miles from Leeds Town Hall. We get them in the fields behind us from time to time Jogon. Sadly many fall foul of the very common old post & wire fences within hedges and catch their feet in it when jumping with nasty consequences for the animals.

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

All I can say is that no one on any of the bird watching forums has seen one or heard of a sighting and the British Trust for Ornithology has also been in touch with me to say there are non in the UK.I could understand the BTO trying to keep it secret until any introduced birds were established but if any had been seen by the bird watching fraternity or especially the Twitchers that news would have spread like wild fire.
Hunslet born and bread

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

I dont think its RSPB propaganda about Red Kites, its just a fact of how they are buit. Although they look big its virtually all wingspan, designed to keep them in the air for hours for scavenging. They wouldnt be up to attacking larger animals, they wouldnt even be able to open a carcass with their jaws. Its beak is small and sharp, designed for tearing meat or getting small prey.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Red Kites are a lovely sight. I've seen them eating road kill and I've heard that they have been seen to eat such as the placenta from the birth of sheep. Despite being around my area of Leeds for a few years now they still tend to be nervous of people though they do seem to be willing to fly closer than they used to do. Some do get quite close when flying around, but never when I have ny camera ready!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

Leodian wrote: Red Kites are a lovely sight. I've seen them eating road kill and I've heard that they have been seen to eat such as the placenta from the birth of sheep. Despite being around my area of Leeds for a few years now they still tend to be nervous of people though they do seem to be willing to fly closer than they used to do. Some do get quite close when flying around, but never when I have ny camera ready! I actuually had one land awkwardly in front of my car near Alwoodley when I'd stopped at a junction! An incredible sight, just a few feet away. It was getting battered by a couple of crows who I presume it had been in a fight with over carrion. Amazing to see it then slowly get back off the ground, the wingspan is fantastic

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's interesting Spackler that you mentioned the Red Kite was being attacked by the crow. I have seen many incidents locally where a Red Kite (never yet though more than one at the same time) was being mobbed by such as crows. A non-local one I particularly recall was around 3 or so years back when I saw such a mobbing around Trollers Gill (near Appletreewick). It went on for a couple of minutes or so until the Red Kite finally got away from the crows (?) or they thought that they had driven it away. It must have been an early period when Red Kites were moving further away from the Harewood area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Crows really don't seem to like the Red Kites at all, and really give them what for if they encroach on "their" territory.Oddly enough, I don't recall ever seeing the larger Red Kite giving them any of their own medicine back though.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

If you look at a Red Kites talons they are pretty small,they are not suited to preying on large animals.I have a number of old bird books (ok,calm down),that are dated well before the program to reintroduce the bird back into England.I quote from one of these publications,the AA/ Readers Digest "Book of British Birds,first edition 1969.Red Kite,Prey-Small/medium/large birds,chicks,mammals(small)reptiles,amphibiams and invertebratesThis publication is not one of the R.S.P.B's and pre dates the reintroduction program,so i cant see any need for any propaganda.Even if there was some cover up then i wouldnt be too bothered if they were taking on other alleged animals,after all they are a ntural species that belong in our contryside,and particularly in Leeds.The medieaval name for a Kite is a Glede,and we have Gledhow in Leeds,which literally means "Kite Hill"
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]