'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Jogon wrote: Harris Hawk 'seen' yesterday. Laura, a very capable Huntress. Can you coax that thing to Gledhow to sort these pesky pigeons out? The Harris Hawk, pictured)was a lovely creature and a pleasure to work with (lad's day up at Consiston Falconry out past Skipton). She'd clear your pigeons.The Golden Eagle was beautiful, tho' just a tiny bit frightening. Mate took it's pics so will post when rec'd. Not really twitching but a great experience and thoughtful birthday prezzie.    
Attachments
__TFMF_kvq5434550ryab45ep5bxeia_58fddf6f-7733-43d7-ac6d-d26567f2fdf9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kvq5434550ryab45ep5bxeia_58fddf6f-7733-43d7-ac6d-d26567f2fdf9_0_main.jpg (110.92 KiB) Viewed 148942 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Wednesday 2nd January at 1705hrs on Hyde Terrace I heard my first Thrush of 2013.Don't ask me if Song or Mistle tho'.Lovely haunting song.Then Thursday 3rd at 1140hrs another by St Michaels Church Headingley.I don't know whether they migrate but love the song when it's here.http://youtu.be/KcF01q8fO1w    

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Remarkably large flock of lapwings flies around Lowfields Road near B&Q in Beeston - believe they roosted on the roof at one time         Amazing coincidence, I've seen a flock of 30/40 lapwings flying round from the car park at B&Q in Thornbury. Must be the flattish rooves that attract them for discount roosting or the free cosytoes overnight parking. Peewit and B&Q, link there, somewhere? tee hee.
Touch not but the glove

simong

Post by simong »

Derculees wrote: Amazing coincidence, I've seen a flock of 30/40 lapwings flying round from the car park at B&Q in Thornbury. Must be the flattish rooves that attract them for discount roosting or the free cosytoes overnight parking. Peewit and B&Q, link there, somewhere? tee hee. It's the sort of area that lapwings like - it was open ground not too long ago and is now an open space with plenty of food opportunities so they don't feel the need to move on. It's very similar in Milton Keynes, where they're practically the dominant small bird 45 years since work started on the city, which is mostly built on former agricultural land.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've noticed for quite some time that there seems to be no sparrows around, which I suspect may not only be due to the cold weather. Even the few in number of collared doves locally have been reduced a lot. Everywhere is dominated by large birds such as gulls, crows/rooks and magpies. It was therefore nice during a walk yesterday in Adel Wood to see a couple of robins (or the same one in different areas!) and a cute pied wagtail scuttling around the parade of shops nearby, plus a pair of mallards in Nanny Beck. I wonder what the outcome from the intense cold spell will be on local birds?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Hi Leo,Not seen a house sparrow on our feeders this year, loss of nesting sites are a major factor, too many uPVC barge boards and soffits. Also not seen any Greenfinches on the feeders. But thesesan influx of redpolls and long tailed tits, along with the usual tits and fiches.Its important to keep feeding the critters in this bad weather

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Ive left a climbing plant in a mess on my wall so the sparrows have somewhere to rooste but all of the normal small birds dont call any more as we have a plague of cats around here
Hunslet born and bread

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Same here - sparrows rare, yet late 1960's summer had incessant chirrups of flocks of them.Now just flocks of magpies, + as you say tyke lotta cats.ours are mainly indoors:-

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

I like cats but there are just to many around here and most of them seem to be out 24/7.
Hunslet born and bread

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

[quotenick="Tyke"]I like cats but there are just to many around here and most of them seem to be out 24/7. [/quoteMust be working in shifts Steve, avaerage cat sleeps 16 out of every 24 hours (nice life)