'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Caron wrote: Couldn't believe my luck when I spotted a Woodpecker in my back garden! I seem to have a family of Robins nearby too who gather in the front garden. So cute We had nesting blackbirds, until the Magpies ate the chicks     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Caron wrote: Couldn't believe my luck when I spotted a Woodpecker in my back garden! I seem to have a family of Robins nearby too who gather in the front garden. So cute We had nesting blackbirds, until the Magpies ate the chicks      Hi Jogon. Magpies have a bad reputation for such as that with birds.Oddly, there seems to be fewer magpies around this year. I could ask who ate all the mag(pies) but that may not be funny!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

We've got two fat wood pigeons that have been trying to build a nest in a small tree in the garden. I've destroyed their attempts thus far but they're persistent blighters. Their constant coo-coo-cooing drives us nuts.We also had some great tits in a nest box. They too could be a little noisy first thing in the morning but they were more tolerable, thankfully.JD

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sounds like the Kestrel chicks, nesting in the tower of St Michael's Headingley, are nearly ready for 1st flight An excellent vantage point for ornithologists is the beer garden of the Skyrack, just over the road. Or The Oak.Cheers

MWD

Post by MWD »

I have just spent the last month or so hand rearing a blackbird nestling, that we found on the ground at work.I looked after it until it was able to feed itself, and encouraged it to do so by putting a tray of earth in it's cage.Buried in the earth were all kinds of blackbird delicacies...worms, wax moth larvae, woodlice, fruit, slugs, etc.I released the bird a week ago in the local church yard.I walk the dog through the church on an evening, and whistle for the blackbird.It appears without fail, and comes to say hello.How do I know it's the same one?It takes food from my hand!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Over the last week or so I've noticed lots of squabbling going on between the same type of birds, such as crows (rooks?), collared doves (?) and other birds. I just wonder what behaviour is causing this so late in the year as surely fighting for breeding partners will be over.Oddly though I've also noticed an interesting acceptance of birds to let other bird types share the same feeding area. For example I've recently seen a group of crows (rooks?) seemingly happy to be feeding on a grassed area with collared doves. Likewise starlings and sparrows both feeding together all mixed in, not segregated.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

A quite beautifuly little Gyrfalcon 'seen' yesterday. Close up.    
Attachments
__TFMF_lg2fg5aw3grxctf52nz4nu3k_93004af0-8170-4e35-892d-13361fcb6fc2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lg2fg5aw3grxctf52nz4nu3k_93004af0-8170-4e35-892d-13361fcb6fc2_0_main.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 223962 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

And a Harris Hawk 'seen' yesterday. Laura, a very capable Huntress. How lucky can a birdwatcher get?    
Attachments
__TFMF_lg2fg5aw3grxctf52nz4nu3k_4d024a3e-d9b5-41f0-8e57-2e3fa606a684_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lg2fg5aw3grxctf52nz4nu3k_4d024a3e-d9b5-41f0-8e57-2e3fa606a684_0_main.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 223962 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: And a Harris Hawk 'seen' yesterday. Laura, a very capable Huntress. How lucky can a birdwatcher get?     Can you coax that thing to Gledhow to sort these pesky pigeons out?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of pigeons there does seem to be an increasing number that have been run over in the centre of Leeds. Their crushed bodies are not uncommonly seen now, but were up to about a year or so back. When I was in Leeds yesterday afternoon (Sept 30) I saw one fresh crushed pigeon and one not quite so fresh. I would guess that if more are being run down then either their numbers are higher and/or they are becoming less aware of traffic. Mind you, on being run over they do not survive to learn from the experience!PS. I like seeing pigeons around the streets, along with the increasing number (and slowly spreading) of starlings at Leeds Market area.