Harry Ramsdens sold!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/brad ... tmReported on the BBC that the Harry Ramsdens empire has been sold to a Birmingham businessman.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Well they're not that good any more. They're not as good as Drake's on Scott Hall Road, or Bretts, or the one at Oakwood IMO. I haven't had any from Nash's new incarnation yet.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Maybe it'll be faggots 'n chips from now on, then?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

As unfortunately now only a very rare visitor to #leeds may i ask wherfe Nash's new incarnation is. i always tried to visit them when I was in the town

patter

Post by patter »

The new Nash's is pretty decent now, down side-alley opposite the Grand Theatre (or the posh restaurant side's on merrion street).Still can't beat Graveleys, down by the cop shopSomehow we just can't handle success - company grows from good product then gets sold on & goes down the pan while treading on the good name itonce had.

Si

Post by Si »

patter wrote: The new Nash's is pretty decent now, down side-alley opposite the Grand Theatre (or the posh restaurant side's on merrion street).Still can't beat Graveleys, down by the cop shopSomehow we just can't handle success - company grows from good product then gets sold on & goes down the pan while treading on the good name itonce had. Harry's hasn't been a patch on what it was for a while now. The fish and chips used to be good, served by broderie-Anglaise attired waitresses who obviously enjoyed their job, and the place had a great, old-fashioned atmosphere, with chandeliers, table cloths, aspidistras and flock wallpaper. The last (and I mean last) time I went in, it was like fast-food in an aircraft hanger. The whole place was magnolia, and we were served average f&c by surly youths in baseball caps. It was somewhere to go for night out, or a special family lunchtime. It's now somewhere to quickly fill up on calories. What a shame...I can only hope the new owners will try and return it to what it was famous for - a good value proper restaurant, not a glorified fast-food outlet.PS On a similar note, after US food giant Kraft's aquisition of Cadbury's, will their chocolate change? Even though Dairy Milk isn't as good, IMO, as continental chocolate (not enough % cocoa-solids) will it be dragged down to the terrible quality of American "chocolate," such as Hershey's? This stuff hardly tastes of chocolate at all, and has a greasy, waxy, yet gritty texture.         

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: PS On a similar note, after US food giant Kraft's aquisition of Cadbury's, will their chocolate change? Even though Dairy Milk isn't as good, IMO, as continental chocolate (not enough % cocoa-solids) will it be dragged down to the terrible quality of American "chocolate," such as Hershey's? This stuff hardly tastes of chocolate at all, and has a greasy, waxy, yet gritty texture.          I agree with you about continental chocolate. I bought a bar of Venezuelan from Lidl (they also had loads of other South American and African types) 70% cocoa solids for .99p. Very good value.There seems to have been a huge fuss about Kraft taking over Cadbury. I don't recall such a fuss when Nestle took Rowntree - there was a fuss locally but not nationally. There was no fuss at all when the same Kraft took over Terry's, which they subsequently closed down.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Uno Hoo wrote: Maybe it'll be faggots 'n chips from now on, then? Its some asian business man whos snapped it up!Its now called Harry Ramadans lolps/billy murgs is miles better anyroad!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Maybe it'll be faggots 'n chips from now on, then? Its some asian business man whos snapped it up!Its now called Harry Ramadans lolps/billy murgs is miles better anyroad! Can we now get Haddock and a side order of acurry sauce for the chips - actually curried fish can be quite nice

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: Si wrote: PS On a similar note, after US food giant Kraft's aquisition of Cadbury's, will their chocolate change? Even though Dairy Milk isn't as good, IMO, as continental chocolate (not enough % cocoa-solids) will it be dragged down to the terrible quality of American "chocolate," such as Hershey's? This stuff hardly tastes of chocolate at all, and has a greasy, waxy, yet gritty texture.          I agree with you about continental chocolate. I bought a bar of Venezuelan from Lidl (they also had loads of other South American and African types) 70% cocoa solids for .99p. Very good value.There seems to have been a huge fuss about Kraft taking over Cadbury. I don't recall such a fuss when Nestle took Rowntree - there was a fuss locally but not nationally. There was no fuss at all when the same Kraft took over Terry's, which they subsequently closed down. If the EU had their way, British chocolate wouldn't be called chocolate because so little reaches their definition in terms of cocoa content and I too must be honest, I far prefer the continental types in general. Friend brought some back from France for me, hand made, so strong you could almost blow cocoa dust off it (metephorically speaking - but it did burn a little!)