Nuns at the Seaside...

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Si

Post by Si »

My great uncle (from Hunslet) was a keen amateur photographer, and took this slightly surreal picture whilst on a day trip to the seaside. I know it's not Leeds (obviously!), but does anyone know where it is? It was taken late 40s/early 50s, I think.
Attachments
__TFMF_3e5mzwqylrpa0j55vny43i45_04be2b12-7e1f-402b-8de7-4a435f2325cd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3e5mzwqylrpa0j55vny43i45_04be2b12-7e1f-402b-8de7-4a435f2325cd_0_main.jpg (714.47 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It looks like Filey, with Filey Brigg in the background to me. But there aren't many dstinguishing features visible.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

Yeah, you could be right.I like the way the nun's wimples(?) look a bit like seagulls.

puregenius0

Post by puregenius0 »

It looks like a monty python sketch to me!!     

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It is Filey. If you look behind the nuns on the left you can see a cafe in the distance.If you click on this photo to make it full size, you'll see the same white cafe in the distance.http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7414447

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, Cardiarms (and Tyke Bhoy.) It's definately Filey, then. Cheers.

Si

Post by Si »

puregenius0 wrote: It looks like a monty python sketch to me!!      Yeah, you get the feeling that if the middle one turned around, it would be Terry Jones!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: .I like the way the nun's wimples(?) look a bit like seagulls. They probably ARE seagulls Si - the blighters get everywhere I still bear the raised lump on my bald pate which I received one hot Summer day in King Street, Bridlington. We were innocently looking in the window of what was then Sydney Scarborough's large music shop when one of the winged thugs let a boulder fly from the top guttering - the missile with uncanny accuracy hit me smack in the middle of the skull with an audible thud which caused many folks to look at what was happening. The "friend" who was with me at the time never misses an opportunity after all these years to quip "Of course you're on good terms with the Bridlington sea birds aren't you ??" - he'll say it once too often one of these days !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm also sure it is Filey.You don't see many nuns about nowadays do you? I'd imagine nuns paddling on the beach are even rarer!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Baldrick:     "My dad was a nun"Blackadder: "No he wasn't"Baldrick:        "Yes he was, every time the magistrate asked his occupation he said none"
Industria Omnia Vincit