Christmas Bits

Your favourite days out round Leeds
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Came across this on the BBC Web, a list of Christmasy bits and events happening arround Leeds during December. A litlle long to paste in...http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/th ... 376796.stm

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I see from tonights 'Evening'Post reporter Pauls Robinson(failed goalkeeper?) and the editorial comment are moaning about lack of public transport over Christmas.We have not had public transport over Christmas for many a year,trains or buses.I remember in the seventies in BR Leeds Control when the Christmas eve night shift (2200 on duty) closed for the first time after everything had completed its journey and was 'on shed'Only then - about 0230 could did we go home..Dr Beeching identified Public Holiday transport as not being cost effective.Buses only ran a hospital service for years.Only recently as I recall have major engineering jobs extended beyond the accepted no traffic period.Still - lets not forget that theYEP never do any research and true to form will never allow the facts to get in the way of 'a good story'
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

I can remember 60s, 70 the buses stopped running at 6pm on Christmas day, so if you were visiting or you had visitors you had to leave before 6pm.
Ex Leeds Lass

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

FLOJO wrote: I can remember 60s, 70 the buses stopped running at 6pm on Christmas day, so if you were visiting or you had visitors you had to leave before 6pm. We had to charge double fares on Leeds City Transport on Christmas Day - I always felt like Scrooge having to do it but there were very few complaints.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Double standards, be penalised for using a car instead of public transport - except of course when it is inconvenient to provide the latter at which point all the environmental arguments seem to be of litlle importance

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

BLAKEY wrote: We had to charge double fares on Leeds City Transport on Christmas Day - I always felt like Scrooge having to do it but there were very few complaints. We (Arriva) are running a limited service on Boxing day again this year, much like a Sunday service. I am not sure if the single journey fares apply but we are dropping the price of a Day ticket from £4 to £3 and accompanied kids can travel free.As I say, not sure if the single fares are in operation but even if they aren't then a £3 pound day ticket is excellent value, especially if you can take the kids for nothing.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

A bit off-topic, but volunteers from the West Yorks Bus Museum in Keighley have run Xmas Day bus services in Keighley for a few years now. AFAIK they're doing so this year. I think this is one of the best bits of PR possible. I think no fares can be charged - presumably donations are sought.Interesting that airlines operate services throughout the period.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Uno Hoo wrote: A bit off-topic, but volunteers from the West Yorks Bus Museum in Keighley have run Xmas Day bus services in Keighley for a few years now. AFAIK they're doing so this year. I think this is one of the best bits of PR possible. I think no fares can be charged - presumably donations are sought.Interesting that airlines operate services throughout the period. The fare/donation thing is I think insurance related,not plying for hire as opposed to voluntary/charity and the associated liabilities.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

dogduke wrote: I see from tonights 'Evening'Post reporter Pauls Robinson(failed goalkeeper?) and the editorial comment are moaning about lack of public transport over Christmas.We have not had public transport over Christmas for many a year,trains or buses.I remember in the seventies in BR Leeds Control when the Christmas eve night shift (2200 on duty) closed for the first time after everything had completed its journey and was 'on shed'Only then - about 0230 could did we go home..Dr Beeching identified Public Holiday transport as not being cost effective.Buses only ran a hospital service for years.Only recently as I recall have major engineering jobs extended beyond the accepted no traffic period.Still - lets not forget that theYEP never do any research and true to form will never allow the facts to get in the way of 'a good story' They say the same thing every year,just column space to fillIm surprised the daily mail and express arent banging on againbla bla bla unions,bla bla bla profits etc.The truth is is that there are some engineering projects which can only be addressed when the rolling stock aint a rollin'!!and if these essential maintenance and much needed upgrades arent carried out well guess who would be the first windbags whinging that safety and delays are a bigger problem because esential work isnt being carried out,you guessed,the windy papers.The public are inconvenienced,but they are on holidays after all.Surely those within the transport industry are entitled to the same days off as the rest of the country.If this is unreasonable then surely everyone else should work those days as well?Clearly thats ridiculous,its a family time when people should be at home with their loved ones,but surely public transport workers should have this as well.Its only 2 days a year,im sure the amount of personal transport ownership should enable people to get around,unlike decades ago when personal transport was restricted to the well off and buses were essential.The engineers working those days are on triple time,and its voluntary.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: [They say the same thing every year,just column space to fillIm surprised the daily mail and express arent banging on againbla bla bla unions,bla bla bla profits etc. TBH I find the Mail and Express very useful publications. I'd be stuck sometimes without their opinions. It works like this for me, if the Mail/Express are for it I'm against it - and vice-versa. A bit simple perhaps, but a good rule of thumb anyway
Industria Omnia Vincit