Good Pub Grub

Your favourite days out round Leeds
patter

Post by patter »

Very simple question, and I'm sure we all have our favourites, but where in Leeds do you go for a good pub dinner?I'm partial to the Roundhay Fox myself, cracking good food, real ales & the buses stop outside for when you've ... overindulged

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

patter wrote: Very simple question, and I'm sure we all have our favourites, but where in Leeds do you go for a good pub dinner?I'm partial to the Roundhay Fox myself, cracking good food, real ales & the buses stop outside for when you've ... overindulged Hi Patter.Wife and I have always found 'The Westend House' pub,on Abbey Road, just above Kirkstall Leisure Centre!excellent for pub grub AND they have a changing real aleselection weekly (5).What more could you ask for?Email Robert Trainor<[email protected]> and they will send you their standard menu!Another we found good is The Traveller's Rest, Armley Hill Top.Good scoffing! Only three ales, tho'. Rest, lagers and ciders .Try the 'allday breakfast'.Fill you up for three days! They do pensioners' specials too but not so filling!Cheers! Arry Awk

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Not yet up and running for food ,but the Sportsmanon Stoney Rock lane is undergoing a much needed makeover.The former tap room has been gutted and is very presentableand will be used to serve meals and be available to book for private functions.It has been managed by Victor and Shaun for the last 10 months and they are gradually pulling the pub round.In addition to the tap room the toilets and entrances are been overhauled with outside painting still to come.Shaun does the food and has turned out some tasty stuff for birthdays etc and reckons he can turm out a quality main course and pudding at a very reasonable price.This has all been made possible by the efforts and money of the current managers and the help from friends and customers.A popular threads on Secret Leeds have pubs as the theme.These 2 guys are bucking the trend and deserve all the backing they can get.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

dogduke wrote: Not yet up and running for food ,but the Sportsmanon Stoney Rock lane is undergoing a much needed makeover.The former tap room has been gutted and is very presentableand will be used to serve meals and be available to book for private functions.It has been managed by Victor and Shaun for the last 10 months and they are gradually pulling the pub round.In addition to the tap room the toilets and entrances are been overhauled with outside painting still to come.Shaun does the food and has turned out some tasty stuff for birthdays etc and reckons he can turm out a quality main course and pudding at a very reasonable price.This has all been made possible by the efforts and money of the current managers and the help from friends and customers.A popular threads on Secret Leeds have pubs as the theme.These 2 guys are bucking the trend and deserve all the backing they can get. Thats good news,i used to go in there on a fridau night on my way to the east end park run.Started at teh compton,then sportsman (never the kiln)occasionally the ebor then over th a64 and into the alladins cave of pubs around the fish hut etc
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Eleventh Earl at HorsforthThree Horse Shoes@Woodlesford/Rothwell.
"always expect the unexpected"

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a pub that doesn't "offer" the same microwaved / deep-fried menu that every other pub does - not that thats always a bad thing, but you know what I mean.They do a cracking pork pie and peas at the Town Hall Tavern.However, you can't go far wrong at The Rythre Arms in Rythre near Tadcaster (it's an LS postcode!) for a truly exceptional steak.http://www.rythrearms.co.uk/index.htmI just need to make sure it's mrs raveys turn to drive...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a pub that doesn't "offer" the same microwaved / deep-fried menu that every other pub does - not that thats always a bad thing, but you know what I mean.They do a cracking pork pie and peas at the Town Hall Tavern.However, you can't go far wrong at The Rythre Arms in Rythre near Tadcaster (it's an LS postcode!) for a truly exceptional steak.http://www.rythrearms.co.uk/index.htmI just need to make sure it's mrs raveys turn to drive... It's a shame how many of the places you could pop out to for lunch or the evening and be sure of good, real food at a real pric too seem to have gone to the wind or changed hands and serve the generic ready-made fare or try to by fancy (and usually fail!) and try to charge accordingly isn't it?Nothing special, but if the spur of the momnet wants a down to earth, much as you can get on your plate carvery with good well-cooked food you could do worse than the Wellington on Wetherby Road at around four quid or less during the day, more at weekends of course.The Bridge Inn at Kirkstall was good too - if it's still Tino of Tino's at Wharfedale and later the Behive fame.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

I'll 2nd The West End.The Bridge Inn i would well avoid, last time i had food there was prob. 18 months ago, had the rhubarb crumble and it was vile, looked like a nettos readymeal pudding they'd zapped in the microwave A friend claims to have gone in there not so long back and found the barman/manager(?) passed out drunk. Apparently under the same management as Hark To Rover.    
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Crazy Jane wrote: I'll 2nd The West End.The Bridge Inn i would well avoid, last time i had food there was prob. 18 months ago, had the rhubarb crumble and it was vile, looked like a nettos readymeal pudding they'd zapped in the microwaveA friend claims to have gone in there not so long back and found the barman/manager(?) passed out drunk. Apparently under the same management as Hark To Rover. That's sad. I wonder if Tino has gone? And his long standing cheff at the time and whom I've known for yearswould never let anything like that out of the kitchen.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I've heard good things about the carvery at The Wellington on Wetherby Road from a few people but I've not been in there since it was a Tetley's Big Steak Pub - whats that, 10 years plus?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell