Dog friendly walks?

Your favourite days out round Leeds
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Steve Jones wrote: I went to Shipley Glen last saturday up around Bracken Hall Contryside Centre.Excellent walks and dog friendly tearooms and pub nearby(The Old Glen Hotel). Is the fair still there at Shipley Glen does anyone know?

slw

Post by slw »

The fair at Shipley Glen has closed some info here .....http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

slw

Post by slw »

raveydavey wrote: Some excellent suggestions - thanks! I read somewhere that Thorpe Park up by Junction 46 of the M1 has acres of "public" parkland - anyone know if this is correct and what it's like? Whenever I've driven past it just looks like a big office park. I know someone who goes on bike rides around Thorp Park. Theres a little info here if it helps ....http://www.thorpeparkleeds.com/the-park03.php

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Shipley Glen fair is closed as stated.The tramway is also undergoing renovation and due to reopen later this summer.I have never been on it so want to go on when it opens again.I hope to be up there again this Saturday as well.Incidentally Shipley Glen has a lot of well sites but most seem to be inaccessible!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Thanks for all your help.I might give the Barnbow and Scholes area a try this weekend, weather permitting. Are there still about half a dozen mad dogs running free in the lane near (what i assume is) Lazencroft Farm?I remember going through there on my bike as a kid after watching the tanks through the fence at Barnbow and having to pedal like mad for about half a mile to get away from them....(I'm guessing they will be different dogs by now, perhaps descendents of those that chased me all those years ago!).
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Been on a couple more excellent walks within (just) the Leeds boundaries the last couple of weekends.The first one is from the Wilderness car park at Wetherby, along the river bank, then across farmland past the racecourse and back in a big loop and the other was the wonderful but often overlooked Otley Chevin.I've posted some pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8964340@N05/ (you'll need to cut and paste the link as secretleeds doesn't recognise the "@" - I really must rename my account...)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

there's always chip's quarry if you're out barwick/scholes way.no idea how you'd get there in a car though, it's got to be getting on for 30 years since i went up therem and seem to recall taking quite the oddest route up the embankment just before barwick road.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

You beat me to it RaveyDavey. I was going to suggest the Chevin, both sides are great dog walks at any time of year, and in winter for sledging (well the younger ones anyway)Heres one at the Chevin with Almscliff in the misty background
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Try round the old railway in Wetherby, good paths and away from traffic, and very popular with my collie.Otley Chevin is also very good, plenty of interest round there. Last walk I did there we parked at Ilkley, caught the train to Shipley and then walked back via Shipley Glen, Dick Hudson's and Ilkley Moor.Hetchell Woods is also a good one.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Sumo my Akita

Post by Sumo my Akita »

Have you tried walking down Leeds canal? Me and my dog had great bonding time down it- long long walk and you could go on forever and cut out whenever.We cut out near Kirkstall Brewary for a break, got to do a bit of shopping and even caught a coffee at a dog-friendly cafe that we stumbled at the Kirkstall Leisure Centre lights called Urban Bean that has a courtyard at back where my dog got to sit with me.Nice stroll and nice weather for once!