Leeds Irish Parade

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I am just off in a minute to go to Leeds to watch today's (March 15th) Irish Parade. it sets off from Millenium Square at 10:30 am and goes around the city centre.Usually a good spetacle for those who haven't seen it.Bands etc on stage in the square as well during the day.i'm celebrating my Irish ancesters(G). Yes,although it's Jones now I do have a lot of Irish ancestry as well.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

That's one other thing I'll be missing about Leeds. I also have some Irish in me. My gran, me dads mum, was from Conamara. My grandad, me dads dad, was from St Ives in Cornwall. My dad was born in St Agnes in Cornwall and I'm from Leeds!! Have fun, it'll be a craicing day!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I'm led to believe that most of those of Irish descent in Leeds's anscestors came from Mayo. I know that most of the Irish in Morley came to dig the tunnel and stayed. When I was a kid they were known as the "Albert Road Irish" because they all lived in and around Albert Road, I was in my teens before I realised that Ryan, Doherty, Murphy and Walsh were Irish names. My best mate's name was O'Donnell so it was obvious to me he was of Irish descent, but there were so many of the others at school with me the penny just never dropped even though they were all Catholics. I used to want to be a Catholic, they got fish on Fridays and we had to eat disgusting cheap mince
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: I'm led to believe that most of those of Irish descent in Leeds's anscestors came from Mayo. I know that most of the Irish in Morley came to dig the tunnel and stayed. When I was a kid they were known as the "Albert Road Irish" because they all lived in and around Albert Road, I was in my teens before I realised that Ryan, Doherty, Murphy and Walsh were Irish names. My best mate's name was O'Donnell so it was obvious to me he was of Irish descent, but there were so many of the others at school with me the penny just never dropped even though they were all Catholics. I used to want to be a Catholic, they got fish on Fridays and we had to eat disgusting cheap mince Well both my grandmothers were of Irish descent,and my paternal grandfathers mother was of Irish descent.So there is plenty of Irish in me,but to be quite honest i have no sense of belonging or connection to Ireland whatsoever.Its not a dislike ,but an indifference i suppose.Perhaps being a Yorkshireman,with plenty of Yorkshire roots going back at least to about 1500,is enough for me.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Well my ancestors actually settled in manchester not Leeds.Still I had a great day out ,and I did my bit for secret Leeds by talking to the guy running the Leeds Irish Ancestry Stall, and telling him about this site.he was telling me that most Leeds Irish lived on "The bank" and came under Mount St mary's.They have a lot of information on this area and do talks on the history of it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Steve Jones wrote: Well my ancestors actually settled in manchester not Leeds.Still I had a great day out ,and I did my bit for secret Leeds by talking to the guy running the Leeds Irish Ancestry Stall, and telling him about this site.he was telling me that most Leeds Irish lived on "The bank" and came under Mount St mary's.They have a lot of information on this area and do talks on the history of it. Im glad you enjoyed it mate.I hope you didn't have one too many Beers again and start flashing yer leprechaun off to folk lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[quotenick="Trojan"]I'm led to believe that most of those of Irish descent in Leeds's anscestors came from Mayo. Surely they're Mayonnaise, with a source like that?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Mayonnaise are actually from the ancient capital of Minorca, Mahon.     
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

simonm

Post by simonm »

cnosni wrote: Trojan wrote: I'm led to believe that most of those of Irish descent in Leeds's anscestors came from Mayo. I know that most of the Irish in Morley came to dig the tunnel and stayed. When I was a kid they were known as the "Albert Road Irish" because they all lived in and around Albert Road, I was in my teens before I realised that Ryan, Doherty, Murphy and Walsh were Irish names. My best mate's name was O'Donnell so it was obvious to me he was of Irish descent, but there were so many of the others at school with me the penny just never dropped even though they were all Catholics. I used to want to be a Catholic, they got fish on Fridays and we had to eat disgusting cheap mince Well both my grandmothers were of Irish descent,and my paternal grandfathers mother was of Irish descent.So there is plenty of Irish in me,but to be quite honest i have no sense of belonging or connection to Ireland whatsoever.Its not a dislike ,but an indifference i suppose.Perhaps being a Yorkshireman,with plenty of Yorkshire roots going back at least to about 1500,is enough for me. Ditto for me too. Irish name and Irish roots on my dads side. Still have a greater affinity to Yorkshire than owt else. Probably cos of my Grandmothers ancestory, (Metcalfs and Askrig )
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

simonm wrote: Ditto for me too. Irish name and Irish roots on my dads side. Still have a greater affinity to Yorkshire than owt else. Probably cos of my Grandmothers ancestory, (Metcalfs and Askrig ) I've got Metcalf(e) ancestors too - maybe we're distant cousins! Are you a Metcalfe Society member?