The new Leeds City Museum

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Had a proper look around the museum now and it really is a great place - well worth a visit whatever your age. Take your own butties to eat on the steps, or get lunch at Wetherspoons though as the cafe is a tad expensive.A few things struck me as a bit odd though.The signs show mens, womens and disabled toilet facilities on the ground and the top floors - but there are only disabled toilets on the top floor when you get there.And I don't like how the museum is publicised as free, but then has additional areas (targeted specifically at kids) at a considerable extra cost once you get inside.Thats the serious point, the other two are a bit tongue in cheek - has anyone else noticed the "make your own mosaic" display has a very obvious swastika right in the middle of it? If you don't believe me, have a look next time you're there.And in the section about Leeds through the ages, there are a selection of wigs to try on to show fashions at the time. Has the curator not heard of the ongoing nit infestations in schools across the city...?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'And I don't like how the museum is publicised as free, but then has additional areas (targeted specifically at kids) at a considerable extra cost once you get inside.'I wonder how this is explained (I'm sure there will be one!) at a time when the initiative Nationally is to open up such places to free entry.I can well imagine that some well-meaning parents looking for a different day out with their children could be disapointed to find themselves in a difficult position if they really need to avoid additional expense - it can be difficult and a let down to have to say 'no' to such things.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: 'And I don't like how the museum is publicised as free, but then has additional areas (targeted specifically at kids) at a considerable extra cost once you get inside.'I wonder how this is explained (I'm sure there will be one!) at a time when the initiative Nationally is to open up such places to free entry.I can well imagine that some well-meaning parents looking for a different day out with their children could be disapointed to find themselves in a difficult position if they really need to avoid additional expense - it can be difficult and a let down to have to say 'no' to such things. A lot of museums have fre entry.yet charge for "visiting" exhibitions.The Royal Armouries and the British Museum spring to mind.By the way,is the museum geared up to let my 2 year old daughter wander around whilst I go to Wetherspoons for a (ahem ahem) sandwich?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: chameleon wrote: 'And I don't like how the museum is publicised as free, but then has additional areas (targeted specifically at kids) at a considerable extra cost once you get inside.'I wonder how this is explained (I'm sure there will be one!) at a time when the initiative Nationally is to open up such places to free entry.I can well imagine that some well-meaning parents looking for a different day out with their children could be disapointed to find themselves in a difficult position if they really need to avoid additional expense - it can be difficult and a let down to have to say 'no' to such things. A lot of museums have fre entry.yet charge for "visiting" exhibitions.The Royal Armouries and the British Museum spring to mind.By the way,is the museum geared up to let my 2 year old daughter wander around whilst I go to Wetherspoons for a (ahem ahem) sandwich? Leave her in the through the ages section mentioned above - seems 'wiggy' lives there

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

chameleon wrote: cnosni wrote: chameleon wrote: 'And I don't like how the museum is publicised as free, but then has additional areas (targeted specifically at kids) at a considerable extra cost once you get inside.'I wonder how this is explained (I'm sure there will be one!) at a time when the initiative Nationally is to open up such places to free entry.I can well imagine that some well-meaning parents looking for a different day out with their children could be disapointed to find themselves in a difficult position if they really need to avoid additional expense - it can be difficult and a let down to have to say 'no' to such things. A lot of museums have fre entry.yet charge for "visiting" exhibitions.The Royal Armouries and the British Museum spring to mind.By the way,is the museum geared up to let my 2 year old daughter wander around whilst I go to Wetherspoons for a (ahem ahem) sandwich? Leave her in the through the ages section mentioned above - seems 'wiggy' lives there Does that mean it goes back as far has the stone age He He.