It's Upon Us Soon! Guy Fawkes At Roundhay Park

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Si

Post by Si »

Hi Steve, When did they start celebrating Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night, then? I'm assuming it wasn't the following year (1606) as the Puritans were quite powerful during the first half of the seventeenth century. Was it after the Restoration? (James I was Charles II's grandad.)

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Si wrote: I remember a traditional 'bommie' in our back garden c.1968. My dad built the fire on some rough grass at the back of the garage. We were sat around eating toffee apples, or something, when a stone flag, which was hidden in the grass under the fire, exploded. There was burning debris everywhere! Luckily, no one was hurt.Did anyone ever manage to get a catherine wheel to actually spin? Did anyone else build Airfix kits, and put bangers in them? Or make a banger 'mortar' with a piece of copper pipe? Or empty all the gunpowder out of the fireworks and set it alight?I sound like a right pyromaniac!!! We used to empty the gunpowder out of fireworks and light it and called it making a "genie" we also wrapped bangers in mud with enough of the fuse sticking out to light it,wait as long as you dared then dropped it into the water butt and do a "depth charge" Great fun but in hindsight children and explosives are not a good mix.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Nowadays if you started taking apart fireworks and putting them in copper tubes you would get arrested by the Anti terrorist Squad lol.does anyone remember 3-2-1-ZERO bangers?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I certainly do Brandy.There was little Demons as well.They were just bangers with different names really.Great though     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: chameleon wrote: Brandy wrote: Is it just me or as anyone else noticed the absence of rockets and loud bangers that for the past ten years have been getting let off as early as back end of august early September?? It could just be me but its definitely quieter round our's!Good shout too phill about the S/L bonfire mate,mind you Mr jones will only want to bring his wicker man lol (no offence yer honour)and il probably be sat 100yrds away getting bladdered on mi own lol swearing blind no buggers turned up! Bad news Brandy, prepare for thy peace to be shattered!Fireworks Regulations 2004-Fireworks can be sold, without a license, during the following periods: November 5 (15 October to 10 November)New Year's Eve (December 26 to 31 December)Chinese New Year (the day of Chinese New Year and 3 days immediately before)Diwali (the day of Diwali and 3 days immediately before).-The sale of fireworks outside this period requires the trader to be licensed. Looks like tomorrow is banger day. oooooh bugger no, no, no - oooooh banger!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Nowadays if you started taking apart fireworks and putting them in copper tubes you would get arrested by the Anti terrorist Squad lol.does anyone remember 3-2-1-ZERO bangers? Sad that has to be a consideration really Brandy, but true. Dread to think what they'd make of some of our old 6th form 'experiments'. The poor chem lab was never quite the same after one of them....

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I certainly do Brandy.There was little Demons as well.They were just bangers with different names really.Great though      A blast from the past for yer phill
Attachments
__TFMF_54whmw45e2w4kz45npnflb2p_8b1fc65e-34eb-43b7-9cea-ce8bbb6fdcc6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_54whmw45e2w4kz45npnflb2p_8b1fc65e-34eb-43b7-9cea-ce8bbb6fdcc6_0_main.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Somehow the organised displays loose there appeal against traditional bonfires. I know which I'd prefer Brandy :-)
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Yeah i know what you mean phil!the fire's dont even smell the same at them displays?its not Quite a bommie without any thick black poisonous smoke plumes lol.The whole idea of bonfire night etched into my mind is about the danger,the idea that for once a year your allowed to light a big blooody fire in the back yard and throw old tyres and aerosol cans onThinking back now its a wonder none of us got blown to bits!Thats why all the kids nowadays are as soft as sheeeite

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Brandy wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: I certainly do Brandy.There was little Demons as well.They were just bangers with different names really.Great though      A blast from the past for yer phill I vaguely remember buying penny bangers and for a bigger bang a tupenny cannon, back in the 50s.