It's Upon Us Soon! Guy Fawkes At Roundhay Park

Your favourite days out round Leeds
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Wanted to post this now for the people who aren't familiar with Leeds....As usual every year the celebrations of Guy Fawkes will arrive in style on Soldiers Field at Roundhay Park.Around 30-45 minutes worth of spectacular fireworks in a crowd of hundreds of thousands of spectatcors joined by a live stage and broadcasting radio show.In the centre of the field will be the man himself on the burning crates.Free admission, searching may be required upon entry by stewards.Bonfire is lit at 7:30pm, with the fireworks display commencing at 8pm. As usual, on the 5th of November which falls on Wednesday this year.Entry at the old tram station off Princes Avenue.Remember, remember the 5th of November!Have fun, will take pictures if possible.    
Simon -H-

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Message for steve jones JP>>dont even think of dragging yer wicker man up there and scaring the kids lolps/no offence yer honour!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Message for steve jones JP>>dont even think of dragging yer wicker man up there and scaring the kids lolps/no offence yer honour! Always spectacular though notorious for late kick-offs. I hear Drapesy may have ideas for the Guy this year...     

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chameleon wrote: Always spectacular though notorious for late kick-offs. I hear Drapesy may have desires to provide the Guy this year... You're not wrong there - it was nearer 8pm last year when the firework display finally got underway.I have a secret place* from which to watch the display, provided its a clear night, which avoids the need to get to / from the black hole that is Roundhay Park on the night. It's a magnificent panoramic view over much of Leeds.* - it's not actually that secret as there must have been at least 100 people watching from this vantage point last year. That said, we've just acquired a dog who is a bit timid around loud noises, so we may have to spend bonfire night making him comfortable under the table....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I used to like it best when the bommie was at the other side and the fireworks were lit down near the cafe.Also last year was murder to get out in the car,there were people mounting the kerb and driving across the playing fields total mayhem! but the fireworks were fantastic!!I think il leave the car and walk up this year.Call me an old fart but what ruins it for me is when you see people swigging beer from cans and letting off there own fireworks,it totally ruins it!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Yes the traffic is atrocious! It was almost deadlock down the sidestreets all the way down street lane and as far as Harrogate Road!I prefer to get myself in with the crowd - Experience the atmosphere properly. There are a few morons and toerags that have to spoil it for everyone else but as a majority it's the most fantastic way to spend Bonfire night.
Simon -H-

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Just to let everyone know, if you are planning to park down Street Lane, they have put fresh yellow lines all the way down....Bet the council are rubbing their hands together now - KERCHING!
Simon -H-

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simon2710 wrote: Just to let everyone know, if you are planning to park down Street Lane, they have put fresh yellow lines all the way down....Bet the council are rubbing their hands together now - KERCHING! Is that a double line or if a single line, and what do the signs say?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Bring back the good old days off chumping, penny for the guy, pie n peas and Bonfires in the back garden.These organised displays have taken all the fun away from the night!Dam Health & Safety issues again!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Bring back the good old days off chumping, penny for the guy, pie n peas and Bonfires in the back garden.These organised displays have taken all the fun away from the night!Dam Health & Safety issues again! remember going raiding phill?we used cause murders on the gipton lol we used to go 'raiding' wood from the other side of the estate,which in return would turn into a full scale battle over large heavy pine doors and smelly sofashappy days!!And just what is it about bommy night that makes roast tatties taste so goooood?