It's Upon Us Soon! Guy Fawkes At Roundhay Park

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

An even bigger bang airbomb repeaters, belting!!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Brandy wrote: Nowadays if you started taking apart fireworks and putting them in copper tubes you would get arrested by the Anti terrorist Squad lol.does anyone remember 3-2-1-ZERO bangers? We made a rocket launcher from an old piece of drain pipe. My mate who worked at Forgrove Machinery, pressed a bung into a piece of steam pipe, drilled a hole for a fuse from a banger and brought it home along with a large ball bearing, and we stipped god knows how many bangers of their powder to produce a cannon basically, but it didn't really work, when it went off if I recall correctly the ball stayed where it was and the cannon shot backwards.When I was a kid Bonfire Night was a big deal, and towards the end of the August Holiday, we'd have run out of stuff to do and either go blackberrying (in those days they were never ripe at the end of August but they are these days) or start chumping. And we'd raid the next street's chumps and they'd raid ours armed to the teeth with bangers.The main fireworks brands were Standard, and Lion, both from Huddersfield for some reason. Standard's fireworks were considered the best, but Lion's bangers were louder.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Years ago, my wife worked for Standard Fireworks. She remembers well the day the sparkler shed blew up. The entire roof ended up in the next field...

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Regarding when Guy Fawkes first started.The date of the first celebrations is vague.It was ordered by royal decree to be celebrated up to the 1850's.Some sources state that the people lit fires to celebrate the foiling of the plot and the authorities ordered them to continue. The halloween bonfirs were already a tradition and in fact are still celebrated in Ireland.It is implied that the switch between calendars from Julian to gregorian also lent itself to Halloween customs becoming attached to 5th November as well .Shebeer in Devon for example has a ritual of turning the Devil's Boulder on 5th November for good luck which I suspect was moved from 31st October.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!