Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

kierentc wrote: i was an 80s teenager. i frequented such places like confettis/ritzys in the merrion centre, mister craigs where gatecrasher is now, and sunset and vine on east parade (i think)oh the shame Same here mate. Warehouse, Maddisons, whatever that place in City Square was called with the revolving dancefloor (it became Bondi Beach at somepoint), TC's up the side of the Merrion Centre, Digby's / Len's Bar, oh the memories.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

slw

Post by slw »

Reginal Perrin wrote: kierentc wrote: i was an 80s teenager. i frequented such places like confettis/ritzys in the merrion centre, mister craigs where gatecrasher is now, and sunset and vine on east parade (i think)oh the shame Same here mate. Warehouse, Maddisons, whatever that place in City Square was called with the revolving dancefloor (it became Bondi Beach at somepoint), TC's up the side of the Merrion Centre, Digby's / Len's Bar, oh the memories. The nightclub on City Square was High Flyers and then Planet Earth(& paparazzi bar) before it became Bondi Beach.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I was pestering the Bali Hai guy for Numan too, he would only ever play "We are so fragile" !

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

HTB wrote: In late 80s/early 90s when i was a member of the LUNIS MCC, we always used to go to Scrumpy's, remember that wierd cartoon of a cat that they never painted over every time they did a "refit". We always danced in a big circle, girls on the inside guys on the outside fending off tossers. It closed down for a few months and we all moved to that dodgy church out on Jack lane (what was it called?) for a Great British Night Out, a pint and a fight!Thems were the days.HTB     It was an old library on Jack Lane,its still there.Definitely not the same as scrumpies itself,and glad it went back there until it closed.I went pretty much every friday and saturday night from 83 to 85 then a little less frequent after that.I really did not see any trouble to speak of.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Most of my clubbing seems to have been in the 'alternative music' clubs...Apart from the incomparable and much lamented Phono, we also frequented Scrumpies when we fancied rock not punk/goth.Ricky's (behind the Merrion centre) had an 'alternative' night on a Sunday (£1 a pint for lager!). Twilight Square opened for a while in a basement near the train station (underneath the 'Observatory?).I'm struggling to remember the other clubs/nights... Eeee, now I'm feeling my age CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

cnosni wrote: HTB wrote: In late 80s/early 90s when i was a member of the LUNIS MCC, we always used to go to Scrumpy's, remember that wierd cartoon of a cat that they never painted over every time they did a "refit". We always danced in a big circle, girls on the inside guys on the outside fending off tossers. It closed down for a few months and we all moved to that dodgy church out on Jack lane (what was it called?) for a Great British Night Out, a pint and a fight!Thems were the days.HTB     It was an old library on Jack Lane,its still there.Definitely not the same as scrumpies itself,and glad it went back there until it closed.I went pretty much every friday and saturday night from 83 to 85 then a little less frequent after that.I really did not see any trouble to speak of. That was one of the great things about Scrumpies. In the five years I was resident there (87-92) I never saw a major fight, and the minor scuffles could be counted on one hand.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

David Raven wrote: Ricky's (behind the Merrion centre) had an 'alternative' night on a Sunday (£1 a pint for lager!). Rickys was down near the bottom of Merrion Street, under the Grand Arcade. It's currently the basement bar of Rio's, known as Sweeney Todd's. I used to love their Friday glam rock night.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

LeeRatbag wrote: David Raven wrote: Ricky's (behind the Merrion centre) had an 'alternative' night on a Sunday (£1 a pint for lager!). Rickys was down near the bottom of Merrion Street, under the Grand Arcade. It's currently the basement bar of Rio's, known as Sweeney Todd's. I used to love their Friday glam rock night. I think he meant Central Park, they did the Alternative Sunday nights with Simon from Bali-Hai DJing.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

russ

Post by russ »

hi all its been a long time since i've logged onto 'Secret Leeds' so here i am.I 've been reading through this 'lost nightclubs' thread and i remember a hell of a lot of the names that have been mentioned (my hey day was 87'-97') before the 'married' thing happened LOL.I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Big Lil's and Spooks that was upstairs.That was my usual nightclub haunt (cheap & cheerful LOL).Spooks was a right dive but me & my mates had some great nights there (the dj was a guy called Steve Randell (an ex mod and was supposed to have been a right handy bugger) the place was all black with the whole room surrounded by mirrors and when it was full it was a right old sauna in there.Shame its shut down now but the then owner (Kevin) still owns it as far as i know (he did own Upstairs downstairs in Armley and the Primos II nightclub (the gay bar as we used to call it) at the bottom end of the market.....

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

LeeRatbag wrote: HTB wrote: In late 80s/early 90s when i was a member of the LUNIS MCC, we always used to go to Scrumpy's, remember that wierd cartoon of a cat that they never painted over every time they did a "refit". We always danced in a big circle, girls on the inside guys on the outside fending off tossers. It closed down for a few months and we all moved to that dodgy church out on Jack lane (what was it called?) for a Great British Night Out, a pint and a fight!Thems were the days.HTB     The place in Holbeck we got moved out to was The Cambrian. Great building - big, sprawling, with galleried landings, a restaurant in the basement and Stowford Press cider on tap - but it was in the middle of nowhere, and in the depths of winter nobody could be bothered dragging themselves out there. There were a few occasions where I was the only punter there.... Mind you, the New Years Eve bash there was great. I still have pictures from that night.That building's offices now, which is a shame. I always wanted to live in it.But yeah, glad we got moved back to the old pit later on. It was a hole, but it was OUR hole.      i was born just off cambrian road......many many moons ago now!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?