Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
-_Phil_-

Post by -_Phil_- »

Couldn't agree more Ray.Well I've got the PA and something of a voice left, you assemble the rest of the gang and let's make it so!!

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

-_Phil_- wrote: Couldn't agree more Ray.Well I've got the PA and something of a voice left, you assemble the rest of the gang and let's make it so!! That sounds like a plan Phil !! Ity'll take a bit of getting together cos my drummer (who is awesome) is playing in Poland at the minute..leave it to me and see if you can bring someone in as well..Do you know Dave Gordon from Leeds ?? Very talented man and good guitar..he's my cousin.How can I send you my fone number on here ? I'm getting so old/knackered we'd need to get it moving.. Is the FForde Grene still a place to do it?
Ray Cooke

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

RayCooke wrote: -_Phil_- wrote: Couldn't agree more Ray.Well I've got the PA and something of a voice left, you assemble the rest of the gang and let's make it so!! That sounds like a plan Phil !! Ity'll take a bit of getting together cos my drummer (who is awesome) is playing in Poland at the minute..leave it to me and see if you can bring someone in as well..Do you know Dave Gordon from Leeds ?? Very talented man and good guitar..he's my cousin.How can I send you my fone number on here ? I'm getting so old/knackered we'd need to get it moving.. Is the FForde Grene still a place to do it? Hi RayThe Fforde Grene closed and became a supermarket a few years back now. One of the many pubs in Leeds that have gone in recent years.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Eddy wrote: Moved on to the WAREHOUSE by the mid 80s and can still remember that feeling when, after queing for an hour, you managed to get in, if the door men liked the look of you. Happy days.. ! I was a regular at the Warehouse from the day it opened for a few of years, then my musical taste took a turn and I stopped going for a couple of years. Got back on track and tried the Warehouse again only to be told 'Regulars only'. Managed to get one of the doorstaff to check with Blanche (ticket booth and Mike's, the owner, mother) and was welcomed with open arms and FREE entry. Happy days!!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

-_Phil_-

Post by -_Phil_- »

Hi Ray,We had these conversations back in Feb/March when you and I were threatening to set the world (back) on fire!! I've not seen or heard from any of my old partners in crime since then really. Our vocalist Dave's 60th birthday reunion now looks like it probably won't happen as they are moving house, possibly to Portugal.I just content myself nowadays with the odd disco/karaoke do's for parties and the like. One coming up on the 6th October for my son-in-law's thirtieth birthday bash. They like to have a bit of karaoke more so than your usual disco type of racket, so Joe Soap here got volunteered for the job. Quite looking forward to it actually. Usually these type of do's end up with me doing most of the singing anyway (bighead). The downside of course is humping all the PA gear now that I'm at least 32. Must get rid of those 18" speakers.I have a friend, Steve, who joined The Chasing Dark earlier this year. They play occasionally at The New Roscoe and The Cockpit. You can hear some of their stuff on their website. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to see them yet.I had a drive round my old stamping ground recently and was saddened to see the closure of some of my old haunts;The Albion, The Golden Lion and The Nelson Inn have all joined The Rose & Crown on Armley Road; The Queen Hotel on Burley Road; The Rising Sun on Kirkstall Road; The New Inn and The White Lion on Tong Road. Some of these may have been closed for some time as it's a while since I was last in the area. All wonderful old ale houses with many a story to tell I'm sure.Going to see my old friend Sir Jim's resting place this weekend. I'm looking forward but not looking forward to it, if you know what I mean. I'll blub like a big kid, I just know it.

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

-_Phil_- wrote: Hi Ray,We had these conversations back in Feb/March when you and I were threatening to set the world (back) on fire!! I've not seen or heard from any of my old partners in crime since then really. Our vocalist Dave's 60th birthday reunion now looks like it probably won't happen as they are moving house, possibly to Portugal.I just content myself nowadays with the odd disco/karaoke do's for parties and the like. One coming up on the 6th October for my son-in-law's thirtieth birthday bash. They like to have a bit of karaoke more so than your usual disco type of racket, so Joe Soap here got volunteered for the job. Quite looking forward to it actually. Usually these type of do's end up with me doing most of the singing anyway (bighead). The downside of course is humping all the PA gear now that I'm at least 32. Must get rid of those 18" speakers.I have a friend, Steve, who joined The Chasing Dark earlier this year. They play occasionally at The New Roscoe and The Cockpit. You can hear some of their stuff on their website. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to see them yet.I had a drive round my old stamping ground recently and was saddened to see the closure of some of my old haunts;The Albion, The Golden Lion and The Nelson Inn have all joined The Rose & Crown on Armley Road; The Queen Hotel on Burley Road; The Rising Sun on Kirkstall Road; The New Inn and The White Lion on Tong Road. Some of these may have been closed for some time as it's a while since I was last in the area. All wonderful old ale houses with many a story to tell I'm sure.Going to see my old friend Sir Jim's resting place this weekend. I'm looking forward but not looking forward to it, if you know what I mean. I'll blub like a big kid, I just know it. We could still squash it in fella.. I'm getting too old now not to take the chance of a 'bit of a bash'... I can't organise Leeds but I can in my area..Teesside. I remember Sir Jim in the 60's when we used to go to the 24hr open Georges Cafe (Leeds Bridge) and the one on the corner just across the road from it (can't remember the name) and the 2 Tomato Dips. Kirkstall Rd and Hunslet. He was always around late on (After Midnight... haha. Good song as well !!) of an evening..sometimes in a bad mood but usually a laugh. Aye those were the days eh.
Ray Cooke

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Carolines ad.
Attachments
1094812_10200976511108585_155867593_n.jpg
1094812_10200976511108585_155867593_n.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 14677 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Willy

Post by Willy »

Anybody please, I seem to remember dancing with the flirtations inHernandos club Harehills would have been 1967/68. I seem to remember Mike Brash encouraging the lads there to get up on the dance floor, anybody elseremember this. Maybe they were playing somewhere else in the cityat that time. Or is it one of those dreams we have, if it is its a 47 year old one.Sorry Its been a long time since my last post.

D A Young

Re: Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Post by D A Young »

Yes, Hernandos. When did it open (it was certainly going by 1963/64), when did it close and why?

uncle mick

Re: Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Post by uncle mick »

D A Young wrote:Yes, Hernandos. When did it open (it was certainly going by 1963/64), when did it close and why?
Copied from Facebook

In the late sixties it was called Hernando's hide away, it was run by a chap named Brash, who owned the cafe downstairs, it was frequented mainly by Mod, Jewish kids. The name was changed to Hernie's but it closed in late 70, early 71. At that point my friend, Denis Billingham, and I rented it from Mr Brash and started putting on Northern Soul events on a Friday and Saturday from about June onwards
Hernies 1970 Phone Book.png
Hernies 1970 Phone Book.png (36.6 KiB) Viewed 14276 times
EDIT - Hernando's first appeared in the phone book in 1958