Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

Mostly nonenities. The Crypt was the longest lasting one tho in a lot of different guises...all depended who was available sometimes. Nobody turned a gig down in those days. If you were offered one you always said yes ! then you would get hold of the lads to tell them..if somebody was busy (our guitarist Trevor Forshaw was in 3 bands at once!) you got someone in to fill the spot. The Four Suits was another one but we only played sort of weddings etc with that one with harmonies being the focus rather then volume. I loved Blues.
Ray Cooke

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

My health ain't brilliant now but if you have that reunion let me know. I'm only 60miles from Leeds. There's talk with one of my best mates of me doing one last gig to say goodnight.He's a 1st rate drummer and we have a few friends who could just jump in and get on with it..no boring rehearsals etc. If you know the tune you play it eh LOLCookies Cookin' Cookies is the band name now..we'll have to stay in touch eh!
Ray Cooke

-_Phil_-

Post by -_Phil_- »

The scary thing here is that once I get back in the saddle next year the bug might bite again.Shame we aren't a bit nearer, you could maybe get some of your guys together and I'd have a word with some of my old timers with the view of having a bash together, just for the hell of it.Dave, our vocalist might give it a go, not sure about the bassist, the drummer disappeared somewhere in Selby, but John, our multi-instrumentalist is mad for playing at any given opportunity. Him and the bassist play in a blues group in a blues club in Laycock, Keighley. I've not been, but apparently it's a tiny venue but big names from around the world play there. Membership is by invitation only.If anything comes of Dave's birthday plans for next year I'll let you know.

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

The bug never goes away Dude..it just hides itself somewhere in between the ears..then pounces when you least expect it ! LOL
Ray Cooke

book

Post by book »

Were Eddison Lighthouse a Leeds band?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

zip55

Post by zip55 »

book wrote: Were Eddison Lighthouse a Leeds band? Nope. Just another band Tony Burrows sang lead for, and he was from Exeter.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

zip55 wrote: book wrote: Were Eddison Lighthouse a Leeds band? Nope. Just another band Tony Burrows sang lead for, and he was from Exeter. There was a Leeds band called Ellison's Hogline. A soul 'combo' led by frontman and vocalist Nelson Fletcher. They appeared prominently at local clubs in the late sixties.

beetee

Post by beetee »

The place over the garage at White Cross @Guiseley has been the venue of a few different nightspots. 'Blue Kitten' (1950's) 'Paradise Club' (Late 60's mid seventies?) Flashmans (70's 80's) Brummels (80s) Maybe these have been aforementioned . All dates eminate from my ancient skull and are probably a bit awry.However the BLUE KITTEN was the first such sortie I ventured upon in the mid fifties in my late teens. Would be well surprised if any other Secret Leedser remembers placing a foot in there!    

-_Phil_-

Post by -_Phil_- »

Tony Burrows was a session singer who was in about half a dozen groups at the same time. This was a period when many of the hits of the day were recorded by session musicians and if the record happened to be a hit, a group was assembled for promoting purposes. Top of the Pops and the like. These were probably the first wave of 'manufactured' pop groups, rather like Simon Cowell's lot et al. Those groups who were more than just a flash in the pan then toured with varying degrees of success.It was probably during one of these periods when Tony was touring with one lot at the same time as Edison Lighthouse was on the road, so I took his place for a few gigs.There was quite a stink when the cat was let out of the bag over the Love Affair's 'Everlasting Love' being played by session musicians. Their live sound was quite obviously different from that of the record. But this sort of thing had been going on for years and probably always will. I always thought that if you liked the record what did it matter who was playing on it?It was many of these type of songs which I worked on as a session-er. The simple contract I was under, and one which I was totally happy with, paid a daily fee and allowed the producers to use the product however they liked and using whatever name. This suited me fine. I never had any aspirations of being 'famous'.Tony's a very nice bloke and as far as I know he is still doing the rounds. Good luck to the guy, I wish him all the best.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

beetee wrote: The place over the garage at White Cross @Guiseley has been the venue of a few different nightspots. 'Blue Kitten' (1950's) 'Paradise Club' (Late 60's mid seventies?) Flashmans (70's 80's) Brummels (80s) Maybe these have been aforementioned . All dates eminate from my ancient skull and are probably a bit awry.However the BLUE KITTEN was the first such sortie I ventured upon in the mid fifties in my late teens. Would be well surprised if any other Secret Leedser remembers placing a foot in there!     See page 10 of this thread, not far from the top of the page, I posted a pic of Brummells in Nunroyd Park. Is that the same one?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.