Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

With The Phono gone and The Warehouse and the recent reminder of Heaven and Hell on Eastgate, where were your favourite night-clubs that are no longer with us.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Chrism,In the 60's/70's, my favorite places were the Old Mecca in the Arcade, the New Mecca in the Merrion Centre, the Bali Hai in the Merrion Centre, Cinderella/Rockafellas near the Merrion Centre, Brannigan's in Call Lane and Hernando's above Mike Brash's cafe at the junction of Harehills Road and Roundhay Road.Ian.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

never set foot in a nightclub anywhere
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

i was an 80s teenager. i frequented such places like confettis/ritzys in the merrion centre, mister craigs where gatecrasher is now, and sunset and vine on east parade (i think)oh the shame

rainone

Post by rainone »

Warehouse was the best, Bali Hi good, Cinders too up it's own ar..Heaven and Hell, dodgy as hell.That place under the Corn Exchange a bit rough.Phonographic in it's 70's days, sticky with crappy burgers.What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? And what about Charlie Williams place in Armley? Or, the one in Seacroft at the Hotel on the York Rd roundabout?Shouldn't this thread be labelled where was the best place to pick up?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

anyone remember stallones on the precinct??or what about that dodgy place facing the Scotsman? i think it was called the snake-pit or summet.or the strega? I spent many a happy hour in there i can tell you!    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: anyone remember stallones on the precinct??or what about that dodgy place facing the Scotsman? i think it was called the snake-pit or summet.or the strega? I spent many a happy hour in there i can tell you!     did stallones used to be caesers or summat like that? as for the strega...i hated it,but couldn't keep out....like picking a scab!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

rainone wrote: What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? Was the one on Brigate called Tramps and the other one was Nouveau, just above Brahms and Liszt?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

actually i'm now thinking the east parade one was madisons upstairs and sunset and vine on the ground floorthis was circa 1988

liits

Post by liits »

How about Primo’s ll, next to the market. It was in the basement of Market Chambers, between Back New York St & New York St. Leeds bestist gay venue. I don’t think that there was ever a Primo’s 1. Many years before that at the Woodpecker [yes, that’s right, the Woody] was the “Scrap Yard Disco” with, on the A-board outside, “see the real car inside". Inside was a scrap, obviously, Vauxhall Viva. Quality!I was also surprised to find out that the New Penny now opens until 5am. First they clean the place, now they get a late license!