the blue gardenia

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
LS1

Post by LS1 »

dont suppose you sold it on ebay recently, probably me who bought it if so! - got to keep it in the family!

dustyfingers

Post by dustyfingers »

'when the work is thru' was the title , it was sold for charity a year or so ago.did Christie have a follow up hit hit with 'San Bernadino' after 'Yellow river'

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Lulu's as well as BG's was popular with the mods. It was on Boar Lane I think, downstairs.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

dustyfingers wrote: 'when the work is thru' was the title , it was sold for charity a year or so ago.did Christie have a follow up hit hit with 'San Bernadino' after 'Yellow river' Think he did. He has a website http://www.yellowriver.0catch.com/ where you can listen to some of the tracks also.

loiner99

Blue Gardenia "The BG"

Post by loiner99 »

dustyfingers wrote:i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue.

Did you ever finish your BG project ?
I frequented the BG in the 60s and whilst it was not a Hilton it was a second home to many of us. Unfortunately it did not make nillionaires out of the owners as weoften made one coffee/coke last all day but the evenings were special with their live music nights. Eveyone crammed in to the little cellar room
batchoy

valetta varsity

Re:

Post by valetta varsity »

LS1 wrote:My Uncle was in the Outer Limits, with Jeff Christie. Does anyone else remember them at all?
hiya i used to frequent the Gardenia regularly in the sixties,The Outer Limits were always gigging there .i remember their drummer had really long sideburns ,you were so close to the stage in those days. Jeff Christie was a striking figure with his centre part mod hair, he lived on Scott Hall road nat the Meanwood end , used to often see him loading the group gear into their vehicle as i worked over that way then. happy days ,.

Benny

Re: the blue gardenia

Post by Benny »

I know this is a very old item that I am answering. But then I am a very old person now ,
Used to go to BG club a thousand years ago in 1960s to listen to soul and Dance in the basement,
meet with the girls after at the corn exchange to go to party's or park outside the old Mecca and wait for the girls,,
Remember most of the old places like the King Charles although some starting to get a bit misty as age creeps on,
Have to stop now as my carer will be checking on me and as in the past all things are possible,
Last edited by Benny on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcom Benny, I hope you manage to avoid the carer often enough to post again
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Benny

Post by Benny »

Sorry about my post saying king George it was the King Charles pub we used to drink at not discounting the wine bar ect ect ect

Haircut

Re: well I remember it well, over in one corner stood a pin ball machine , no booze served. Downstairs was small stage S

Post by Haircut »

dustyfingers wrote:i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue.