the blue gardenia

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
dustyfingers

Post by dustyfingers »

i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

dustyfingers wrote: i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue. The proprietor Salvo Dammone's two sons run a high class Italian Restaurant in Headingley now called Salvo's.Loads about the BG in the Salvo's website.http://www.salvos.co.uk/family/history/Very good website, BTW worth reading right through.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

My Uncle was in the Outer Limits, with Jeff Christie. Does anyone else remember them at all?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

dustyfingers wrote: i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue. Hi dustyfingers,I might be wrong but I seem to remember that the place was located at the far right hand side of White Horse Street which stretched from 13 Boar Lane to Wormald's Yard.Ian.

dustyfingers

Post by dustyfingers »

thanks Ian,would that be where the Bourse is now?

dustyfingers

Post by dustyfingers »

no old mods out there? i heard it became popular with them when it opened, they used to frequent another place called the Konk (le Conque d'Or?).

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I saw an interview with the Dammone brothers in the Leeds Guide a few months back and they definitely said that the BG was where Room is now - which is indeed in the Bourse courtyard (the one with that funky mirrored wall at the end.)dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

LS1 wrote: My Uncle was in the Outer Limits, with Jeff Christie. my dad used to be reasonably pally with jeff christie years ago, as my step mum and jeff's then girlfriend worked togetheri think they made some decent money from that bar of 'yellow river' being used in the yellow pages ads <do dee do do...do dee do do>(thats the same guy, right?)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

kierentc wrote: LS1 wrote: My Uncle was in the Outer Limits, with Jeff Christie. my dad used to be reasonably pally with jeff christie years ago, as my step mum and jeff's then girlfriend worked togetheri think they made some decent money from that bar of 'yellow river' being used in the yellow pages ads <do dee do do...do dee do do>(thats the same guy, right?) Yeah thats the same one, although Yellow River was realy just Christie, in the band of the same name so te rest of the Outer Limits didnt get anything out of that one. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_(band) for more info.There is a website for the group also but I cant seem to find it now...

dustyfingers

Post by dustyfingers »

dustyfingers wrote: i am researching this coffee bar that was off boar lane opposite the el toro. the basement had live bands , the outer limits played there regularly and i have heard the four tops and rod stewart with long john baldry performed there too. upstairs was a gambling club and the caff' was sandwiched in between.there is a restaurant called Room where the BG, as it was known, stands now.i would be grateful for any info/memories or stories related to this venue. the outer limits were featured on a single on the Elephant label which was pressed for Leeds Rag week. Someone gave me 30 quid for my copy!