Leeds jazz in the 60's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

A Canadian correspondent writes:-say hi to Ed from me. Alec Foulds had a band calledThe White Rose Synchopators. Another fellow in the band was the drummer, Billy Bell, according to my Mom. I have a set of photos called "Foulds family" and there are pictures of Alec but not of his band. Mom (who is 94 now) must still have those photos. Mom worked at A C Wickman Co in Leeds in 1946.

vjs

Post by vjs »

I've been trying to post some of this set of photos, finally seem to have got one to work! This is Acker paying an informal visit to the Cobourg to se his mate Ed O'Donnel-sorry, Ed isn't sure who took the photif nyone else does please tell.
Attachments
Acker , Martin and Ed.JPG
Acker , Martin and Ed.JPG (684.74 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
vjs

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Hi VJS, the happy snapper is Jim Irons.If you look on page 3 of this thread you will see a photo that I posted with AB at the Bourg taken by Jim Irons.Bill Bowskill's wife Bobby, used to take a few shots of the team now and again.CheersAndy

vjs

Post by vjs »

Thanks for the info re the Acker photo.This one of the Ed O'Donnell band was taken at the Mecca, probably by Terry Cryer.As Ed says, it's a rarity as everyone in the band still has their hair, and Jim Fuller is without his cap! Date unknown but it's a while ago.    
Attachments
img001 - Copy.jpg
img001 - Copy.jpg (698.67 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
vjs

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Going slightly off thread, but Otley Jazz in the 1930's 'The White Rose Syncopators'    

Bert

Post by Bert »

vjs wrote: Thanks for the info re the Acker photo.This one of the Ed O'Donnell band was taken at the Mecca, probably by Terry Cryer.As Ed says, it's a rarity as everyone in the band still has their hair, and Jim Fuller is without his cap! Date unknown but it's a while ago.     Wow! That's me on clarinet - the only proof I have that I ever played with Ed. Also the only photo I have ever seen of Jim Fuller - bricklayer from Shoreditch by day, musical genius at night. There was no point telling him what key to play in because key letters meant nothing to him. Ed would just tell him what the next number was and play him the first few notes, then off he would go, note perfect in any key and brilliant, flawless improvisations. Ed would stand grinning behind him sometimes during his solos making gramophone handle winding motions to show his admiration. That's Ferd behind me on banjo - only photo of him I've ever seen too. Memory plays tricks with you: looking at the image the memory it brings back to me is of a gig I played with Ed at Leeds University, not at the Mecca. It must be 1961 or 1962.Thanks JazzBob for telling me about this. For some reason I seem to have stopped getting the usual automated e-mail notices of postings on this thread.    

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Hi Bert,There's a colour picture of Jim Fuller wearing his cap outside the Corporation on page 3 of this thread.We knew him well when he came to Perth WA in the late 60s. Cheers Andy

Bert

Post by Bert »

Hi Andy. I saw that photo but didn't recognise Jim in it. He must have been a lot older than that by the time I saw him play - without a hat! David (Cockerham).

vjs

Post by vjs »

Another Jim Fuller without the hat-the jug of ale is right in character though! Jim is Yorkshire to the bone, he wouldn't like to be said to come from Shoreditch. Ed O'Donnell is just in shot. The photo is one of Terry Cryer's usual stylish pics.    
Attachments
img004.jpg
img004.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 8910 times
vjs

Bert

Post by Bert »

Sorry about my "from Shoreditch" error. Don't recall now why I associated Jim with Shoreditch, but I'm pretty sure someone once mentioned Jim and Shoreditch and bricklaying to me in the same sentence. Maybe he just worked there at some point in his life. Incidentally, there's a great description by Homer earlier in this thead of the central role played by the sacred communal flagon of Tetleys in Ed's jazz odyssey.