Leeds jazz in the 60's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Back in 64 my nutty father and his mates used to wrap my head in a pinched Leeds Uni scarf to hide my underage face and smuggle me into The Peel pub on Boar Lane to listen to fantastic jazz bands such as Ed O'Donnell's Black Eagles and Martin Boland's White Eagles.They also played at a pub I think was in Hunslet built on a very acute corner and had a couple of stories.?Was there a pub called The Hadden Hall ? If so they played there as well.I believe later on some of the players teamed together with Alf Potts and played at his Coberg Tavern. Others formed the core of The Wild Kalahari Bushmen and raved on at Frank Heppy's Fish Bar in Wakefield.,while Martin Boland formed a more modern jazz group and played at a pub near Quarry Hill called the Cherry Tree I think ??? They were also the regular marching bands on Rag Day.I suppose most of the musos have now popped their clogs but I would be interested to learn of my Old Man's boozy jazz mates such as Ed O'Donnell, Martin Boland, Matin Fox, Dave Paley, Jim Fuller, Ned Websdale Bill Boskill, Alf Potts, Bernie Wild, Bian Goldsborough, Dave Holdsworth, Dave Haigh, Jack Payne(not the famous one) and Dave Mounsey.CheersAndyps Could someone give me a list of words not allowed on this site just consonants will do I'll fill in the rest

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

As I posted elsewhere, I remember John Lee Hooker appearing at the Peel - I suppose he's blues rather than Jazz. I remember seeing the Dave Brubeck Quartet at the Odeon, in 1962 or 1963 supported by Ronnie Scott Quintet. I also saw the Temperance 7 at the Odeon - do they count as Jazz or novelty? They were supported by the Mike (?) Cotton Band.I didn't go but the Ellington Band appeared at either the Odeon or the ABC in the mid sixties.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Haddon Hall was maybe still is in the Burley/Kirkstall road area. Also for searching purposes it was the Coburg which has had several different guises in the last decade including a brief return to being the Coburg. It's now viva cuba a tapas type cafe bar.AFAIK the only words not allowed on here are swear words, particularly those of anglo saxon nature, and after a bit of fine tuning (with a sledge hammer) the profanity filter prevents my 12 year old stepson and other minors viewing swear words. Initially it also prevented the likes of Scunthorpe too.Of course words in an order that are blatant commercial advertising or spamming are likely to be removed too
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

The Haddon Hall's still there, but hasn't had live music since the early 90s. I played there myself once, in '92.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Nicely put Tykebhoy ... We only block swearwords Pashy, and if my vocabulary is up to it, I think I've included every common combination of letters deemed likely to offend the offendable.Though I must admit I didn't actually get my copy of Roger's Profanisaurus down from the shelf to make sure every possibility was covered, so there may be some I've overlooked Now then - back to the jaaaazzzzzzz. Nice.When I were a lad (maybe 90-94) the place my old man took me to see jazz was Wakefield Jazz Club, which if I remember correctly was in some sort of rugby club, either that or it moved about. Not exactly in Leeds though...However! Where Sela bar is now (on New Briggate, between the former Frank's International hairdressers, now Frank's bar, and North bar) was apparently a jazz club back in the 50s or 60s. Spent a long time unused through the 70s - 90s, before reopening a few years back as Sela. For a while after they reopened there were photos on the walls of the place as it was back in the day, though I never saw them. Would love to see some pics if anyone has them?Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

PS I can't imagine any sort of music being played in the Haddon Hall these days - a bright, sterile and generally awful place. They might stretch to a bit of 'Pop Idol: The Best of The Rest'.dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,Although I have never been a great Jazz fan, this thread has been a reminder to me of some other places which have not been mentioned.During the 1960's, there was a Jazz Club at the Star & Garter at Kirkstall but it was upstairs and not in the main pub entertainment area. I also seem to remember a Jazz Club at the Guildford on the Headrow.Trojan's mention of John Lee Hooker reminded me of the fact that he also appeared a couple of times at the Three Coins. The Three Coins was situated in a building at the top of a narrow street (possibly Albion Walk?) off Boar Lane that ran parallel with Lower Basinghall Street. The upstairs was a restaurant called the 'P & I' (Pakistani and Indian) and downstairs was the Three Coins. It was mainly a Blues Club but Jazz was played as well. I think that Sonny Boy Williamson II may have appeared there before his death in the mid 60's. I am sure that Georgie Flame and the Blue Flames also played there.So far as relates to the Cherry Tree pub, during the late 60's and early 70's, the resident band were the Cherry Tree Band who played on some nights during the week but on Sunday lunchtimes, when they also played, the place was absolutely packed. It was quite a big band and had a great female singer. They played anything but alot of Santana, Jazz, Blues and some popular music. The Cherry Tree Band also used to play at a club called Brannigans on Monday or Tuesday nights. Brannigans was situated in Call Lane, near to Lower Briggate, and opposite The Hope & Anchor (@ The New Penny).Ian.

stevief

Post by stevief »

dsco wrote: PS I can't imagine any sort of music being played in the Haddon Hall these days - a bright, sterile and generally awful place. They might stretch to a bit of 'Pop Idol: The Best of The Rest'.dsco It's a shame.I've seen some great bands in the Haddon.It used to be one of the premier music venue pubs of Leeds.It's my nearest pub but it'll never be my local.

trish

Post by trish »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi everyone,Although I have never been a great Jazz fan, this thread has been a reminder to me of some other places which have not been mentioned.During the 1960's, there was a Jazz Club at the Star & Garter at Kirkstall but it was upstairs and not in the main pub entertainment area. I also seem to remember a Jazz Club at the Guildford on the Headrow.Trojan's mention of John Lee Hooker reminded me of the fact that he also appeared a couple of times at the Three Coins. The Three Coins was situated in a building at the top of a narrow street (possibly Albion Walk?) off Boar Lane that ran parallel with Lower Basinghall Street. The upstairs was a restaurant called the 'P & I' (Pakistani and Indian) and downstairs was the Three Coins. It was mainly a Blues Club but Jazz was played as well. I think that Sonny Boy Williamson II may have appeared there before his death in the mid 60's. I am sure that Georgie Flame and the Blue Flames also played there.So far as relates to the Cherry Tree pub, during the late 60's and early 70's, the resident band were the Cherry Tree Band who played on some nights during the week but on Sunday lunchtimes, when they also played, the place was absolutely packed. It was quite a big band and had a great female singer. They played anything but alot of Santana, Jazz, Blues and some popular music. The Cherry Tree Band also used to play at a club called Brannigans on Monday or Tuesday nights. Brannigans was situated in Call Lane, near to Lower Briggate, and opposite The Hope & Anchor (@ The New Penny).Ian. I used to frequent the Three Coins in the sixties. I think I saw Georgie Flame there,and Sonny Boy Williamson, and I well remember seeing John Lee Hooker there and getting his autograph.trish

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I used to listen to Ed O'Donnell at The Coburg in the early 70's. Recently he played every week at Yeadon Liberal Club, then at Drighlington. He now plays every Thursday in Wakefield. I cant remember the name of the venue but will post it when it comes back to me.