Happy Birthday Secret Leeds! An invite...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

Well, it's hard to believe but our favourite secret website is now nearly one year old...We are one person away from having 800 users (one for every year since this city was founded in 1207).We have had 50,000 unique visitors, & well over a million page-views!Although Dsco & Munki knew that people would love this stuff, the success has exceeded all our expectations. In order to celebrate, we have booked a room for those of you who chose to to finally meet face to face, to come out for a few drinks & a birthday party.The celebration will be held at Sam's Chop House on South Parade, from 6pm on Friday, 29th of February (this way, we will only have to celebrate the Birthday once every four years from now on!). If you would like to come along, please RSVP to munki72@gmail.comhttp://samsleeds.thevictorianchophousecompany.com/We will also be running a couple of tours, just for you, around the Hidden Side of Leeds Town Hall. We all know & love the exterior of Brodricks' magnificent Town Hall of 1858 (itself, 150 years old this year). Some of you may have seen the grand opulence of the great Victoria Hall. But now we give you the chance to see the darker, damper, seamier side of the building we all know & love. The Old Courtroom, the Victorian Prison Cells, & the top of the Clocktower.We will run the tours at 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Friday 29th February. Spaces are very limited (due to the limited spaces we will be taking you to), so booking in advance is essential. Please email munki72@gmail.com if you would like to attend. (Those of you who have already booked, I will be in touch to find out which tour you would prefer to go on).So, we very much hope that we get the chance to meet you on Friday 29th. Here's to many more years, & many more secrets!Best wishes & Happy Hunting,Dsco & MunkiThe Secret Leeds Team        
Attachments
__TFMF_yrt50vb3lnvzgg45j12fve45_e2e3b898-8158-4a89-89fe-9da4816e4464_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yrt50vb3lnvzgg45j12fve45_e2e3b898-8158-4a89-89fe-9da4816e4464_0_main.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Ahh, I see the chophouse is a Manchester company, maybe we'll be in for a re-enactment of the Wars of the Roses as well!!

munki

Post by munki »

Well, my Dad says it was the best place to eat when he was at Manchester University, & still goes there once a month with one of his mates forty years later, so they must be doing something right.Being from the wrong side of the pennines myself, I have some sympathy. Although the deciding factor for the venue was that it is in a GradeII listed building, which we though might appeal to Secret Leeds Readers.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Si

Post by Si »

"You can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't.........!!!"

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Regarding the venue: The Victoria, Whitelocks and various others we tried were unavailable I'm afraid. So Sam's it is...Hope this is OK for everybody - it wasn't our first choice either but i think it will be good. It's a Grade II listed building, they have decent beer and do proper British grub. It's also handy for those who've done the Town Hall Clock Tower Magical Mystery Tour - what more could you want?Ta ra,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yup. Really looking forward to seeing you there Simon...dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

munki wrote: I know it's normally applied to the Darkside, which is why, as a MancBlue, I doubly resent being tarred with the same brush!Just been to have a look at Sam's. It is a really nice old building... & I've ordered the 'Leeds Platter' buffet option, to keep everyone happy. Pie & Peas, anyone? kerching,ill bring a bib!Any potted meat sandwiches?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi MunkiIs that Leeds Platter a 'set' menu for all attending?We were rather fancying a choice from that vast rangeof meals offered on Sam's website! Anyway, no doubt you'll keep us informed!CheersArry

munki

Post by munki »

Hi Harry,We've laid on a buffet, but I think the bar will be open for other food, if you want to try something different. The menu does look great! Our budget only stretches to the buffet, though. & I thought the 'Leeds Platter' would apeal to a lot of people!    

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Looking forward to a bit of buffet action after a traipse round the town hall....